Question

Tutor
stephentx
Message 1 of 5 (520 Views)

New Envy 20-d030 Touchsmart keeps turning off automatically

[ Edited ]

I just purchased a new Envy 20-d030 Touchsmart all-in-one with Windows 8 two weeks ago.  The setup was easy and the new computer is connected to internet and everything seems to be running OK with one exception.  While I'm actually sitting at my desk and using the computer everything seems normal.  Several times the computer has turned off while I've been away for a period of time.  I return and the computer is completely turned off.  I push the power button and Windows seems to restart normally but I get the following message when I see the login screen.

-----

Your computer experienced a problem and needed to restart.

-----

Even though the error message said the computer needed to restart it only shutdown and didn't actually restart.  This has happend now about 6 times in the past two weeks since I've had the computer.  I haven't really made any changes since the initial setup process and installing MS Office, Kaspersky and a few other programs.  This issue happens randomly and seems to be when I've left the computer sitting for a couple hours of inactivity.   This issue doesn't seem to be related to hibernation mode.  My computer does 'wake up' properly after going into hibernation mode.  Not sure what to do...

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 2 of 5 (489 Views)

Re: New Envy 20-d030 Touchsmart keeps turning off automatically

Hello,

I would remove any programs you might have installed.

Use msconfig and use diagnostic startup option. 

Run Windows Update and then make a test, leave the PC ON without being connected to internet.

If none of this helps, try to format the unit, use F11, this will install the original image and then use the computer for some days, try not to install anything and see how it goes.

Please let me know the outcome of this tests.

Thanks,

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Tutor
stephentx
Message 3 of 5 (476 Views)

I'll try some of these options today.  I also contacted HP support via chat and didn't seem to get anywhere.   It was frustrating to have someone attempt to help me that didn't really seem helpful at all.  The person kept telling me (in broken english) to select options in Windows that I didn't have or they didn't seem to know how to navigate to a particular option.   They basically told me to do a system restore after an hour of troubleshooting.  I guess I'm confused why I would do a system restore though since this computer is new.  I actually had it on for a couple days while I was backing up data on my old HP laptop.  This issue of shutting down actually started immediately before I had installed anything on it.  It was basically out-of-the-box and connected to the internet.  The initial HP setup automatically found my wireless printer and internet connection.  Since then I have installed a few things though.

When I'm away for short periods of time everything seems to function properly.  The computer on/off button is flashing and  the computer 'wakes up' when the mouse is moved.  When I'm away for longer periods of time (e.g. 1 or 2 hours) I return to find the on/off button is not flashing.  There seems to be no sign of power and the computer is completely off.  It does turn of though if I push the power button.

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 4 of 5 (451 Views)

Hello,

Have you tried any of the suggested steps?

What is the status of your problem?

THanks,

Regards

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Tutor
stephentx
Message 5 of 5 (446 Views)

Hi

Thanks for checking on me!  Here's what I've tried so far as recommended by HP support:

Power Options

I've changed the following settings in the Power Options/Energy Star Qualified/Change Plan Settings.

-Turn off the display to 'Never'

-Put the computer to sleep to 'Never'

I've changed the following in the Change Advanced Power settings

-Hard disk/Turn off hard disk after to 'Never'

-Sleep/Allow Hybrid Sleep to 'Never'

-Display/Turn off display after to 'Never'

I don't think my computer is turning off anymore when left for extended periods of time.  It's been a day/two and I'm still watching it to confirm.  So far I've left the computer on and been away for a few house twice now and it was still on upon my return.  So basically it seems the energy saving features have been turned off and that feature doesn't work properly on the Envy 20" all-in-one?  I'm still testing to see if this is completely fixed though.  Last night I believe I turned my computer off.  When I turned it on this morning I received the message "Your PC ran into a problem and needed to restart".  This was the message I was getting when it would automatically turn off and I would turn it on again.  I'll continue to monitor this issue for a couple more days.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation