Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Touchsmart 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion Touchsmart 23 All-In-One Model f339

AMD Radeon HD 8670D

My screen is so dim after the computer "wakes up" from sleep mode that I can only read it holding my face an inch away. Restarting brings the brightness back to normal, only to happen again the next time the computer sleeps. This has only started happening since upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

- All drivers are up to date

- All Windows updates are up to date

- There is no brightness slider in power options

- I have no brightness controls on my keyboard

Please help me fix this so I don't have to revert back to Windows 8! Thank you all in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think I might have made some headway with this problem. I had a friend call me up and he was suffering from these same issues. The partial solution (and probably the major part) that I discovered is that there was a critical BIOS update that had not been done. Because Windows 10 was already installed it didn't show up on the HP Support page or the HP Update software. The way I got around this was to tell the HP support website that i had Windows 8.1. The update then appeared. I downloaded the latest BIOS update for his model and installed it. (BTW: it worked just fine in Windows 10). Once I updated, the dim screen issue was resolved. However, as far as the screensaver, auto sleep, or auto hibernate are still not working. You can manually put the computer to sleep via a button or the start menu and it comes back out just fine. His was an AMD based All-in-one and i don't recall if anyone has had issues with the Intel based platforms.

So to recap... If you haven't installed 10 yet make sure you do the BIOS update first. If you have, goto the support website and enter your model. Change the OS to Windows 8.1. Download and install.

If anyone has anymore insight, PLEASE reply so others can benefit. Good luck and enjoy Windows 10. And if anyone has a solution for the sleep/hibernate/screensaver issue please respond.

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

Hello @squidcup,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your desktop computer's brightess display is dim after sleep mode since upgrading to Windows 10, and I would be happy to help you!

According to the available list of supported drivers for your desktop computer, there is currently no Windows 10 graphics or chipset software published at the moment. 

In the meantime, I recommend following the steps in this document on HP Products - Where do I find Windows 10 drivers and software for my model?

I hope this helps!

Best Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue on same computer awaiting resolution as I do not want to revert back to Win 8.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

My wife has the same exact computer and after I upgraded it to Windows 10, she has the same problem.  When waking the machine up from sleep, it looks like the backlight just never turns back on.  The screen shows a very dim desktop, and it does seem to be functioning just fine, but it just doesn't turn the backlight back on.  If she's lucky the brightness comes back to normal after a reboot, but sometimes it takes a couple of tries.  Glad to hear that others are having the same issue, I was hoping it wasn't a hardware problem.

HP Recommended

Hello @enem156 and @dimagem,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your posts on how your computers also display a dim brightness after upgrading your systems to Windows 10, and I would be happy to help you both!

If you have performed all of your Windows updates, and the issue continues, I suggest following the steps in this document on how to Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows to Fix Dark Screen Problems. This should help maintain the brightness feature when your computer wakes up from sleep mode.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

I have tried this, and it has not changed the problem. FYI, adaptive brightness was off by default on my computer after I upgraded to Window 10. Please escalate our issue, it is driving me crazy!

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

i also have adpative brightness off and still have the same issue still looking for resolution

HP Recommended

My Adaptive Brightness was already off.  It must be the default when upgrading to Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I also have a HP Touchsmart 23 with Radeon HD 8570D display adaptor exhibiting the same issue. 

Microsoft and HP report no available updates and the adaptive brightness is OFF.

There are no brightness controls on any control panel page including the power managment sections.

The Windows 10 notifications pull-up for settings does not have a brightness slider.  

Rebooting is the only method I have found to restore display brightness to a usable level.

Previously on  this thread it was stated ....

According to the available list of supported drivers for your desktop computer, there is currently no Windows 10 graphics or chipset software published at the moment. 

The orginal post is from August 4, so now more than one week later a solution has not been forthcoming.    Please escalate this issue as HP was reminding me to join in the Windows 10 upgrade and now that I did,  I have an ongoing problem with the hp pavilion 23.   Seems HP missed the boat and was recommending the upgrade knowing the chipset in the computer was incompatable.   Shame. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.