andre53
Message 11 of 18 (9,206 Views)

Re: Ralink 802.11n Wireless Lan Card

Did anyone fix this problem or has any idea ??? plzzzz

Student
norbeeng
Message 12 of 18 (8,782 Views)

The maximum physical data rate is limited by the Ralink chipset used in the PC.   The table below shows the hardware capability of the different Ralink chipset.

http://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Products.html

My HP f6610 desktop has the Ralink RT3090 chipset for the 802.11n wireless lan, and I have a NETGEAR WNDR3700 dual bank router, it is set up for max data rate at 300Mbps.  However, the f6610 only shows the max connected data rate at 150Mpbs..   That matches up with what the RT3090 is capable of.  Also, the RT3090 only supports the 2.4Ghz band.  So, it does not have the 5GHz radio to see the 5GHz band signal from the WNDR3700.  It is interesting that the LAN driver still offers the settings for different 5GHz channels.  It just does nothing.

Student
James73
Message 13 of 18 (8,283 Views)

I have an HPE-250F desktop. It is using the Ralink software for the PCI-E N card. It only gets max rate at 135Mbps and fluctuates down to 54Mbps. In troubleshooting, I noticed it doesn't have a 40Mhz bandwidth option, and no firmware update available for it either. I have called into HP and even had my case escalated but they only want me to send my PC in to have troubleshooting done. The case managers say since the wireless is working that the card is working correctly. I have 2 other N computers in the home, and they connect at 270-300Mbps. This is the only stationary PC as the other 2 are laptops. The PC is about 30 feet from the modem/router.It is apparent that this wireless card is not functioning correctly, and since it is PCI-E it is a customer replaceable part, yet they refuse to send me a different card. And WHY do they continue to ask me what my internet speed is???? What does that have to do with the card not transmitting at the 300Mbps rate it is supposed to?!?!? Am I incorrect in stating that the speed of the card is the data transfer speed between the router and PC? I am tired of the way the company makes you go thru hoops to correct a problem they should be aware of, all they have to do is check these posts to see it is not an isolated incident. I am in process now of telling all my friends not to purchase HP anything. This is a very disappointing end to my relationship with HP since I just came back to them a couple years ago. I have this pc, and Envy17 and DV5 series computers. I am not going to replace them anytime soon, but when in the market, they will not be replaced with HP equipment. If anyone from HP would like to contact me about this, I am willing to accept emails. Also, if anyone knows about a firmware update for this issue (I can't find one) please respond to this post.

Honor Student
hpeco
Message 14 of 18 (6,777 Views)

Im in range of my router. I recently installed a graphics card. When i click wireless network connections it shows that the 802.11n wireless lan card is with full green bars but with a red x next to it. ive disabled and enabled it constantly but still no good. maybe i might've messed with the wiring while installing my graphics card? help please. what can i do?

Honor Student
JSwitz
Message 15 of 18 (6,771 Views)

It seems likely you have disconnected the antenna from the wireless card.  This card uses an antenna loop (single wire) similar to a notebook wireless antenna.  It is fairly easy to snag and disconnect this loop while working inside the case.

After you turn off your system: Unplug the power cable AND press the power button for a few seconds. This drains any residual charge stored in the system.  You should always perform this power-down before performing work inside the system.

You may find it easier to pull the wireless card to verify / repair the antenna connection.

When you inspect the PCIe wireless card, you should see the antenna loop connected to the card in two places, about two inches apart, near the metal case connector.  The loop is attached to the card via two small metal press-on connectors. On my m9350f, the insulated loop cable has a grey cover, with gold contacts.  The cable loops around the top of the case, then back to the PCIe card.  Verify / reconnect the antenna loop then re-install the PCIe card.  Plug in the power cord and restart as usual.  Please let me know if this solves he problem.  If this isn't the solution, I can follow-up with additional troubleshooting techniques.  Good luck.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 16 of 18 (6,692 Views)

Hello hpeco:

This only pertains to your problem ok. What it is telling you your computer is connecting just fine to your router how ever your router is not connecting to the internet. Call your internet provider and ask them to exchange your router. That is why you are seeing the red X. They might be able to trouble shoot your router by phone as well. They can provide you steps on resting your router back to factory setting. Each router are different there for I can not provide the trouble shooting router steps to you. So make the call.

Top Student
musurgia
Message 17 of 18 (1,905 Views)

Similar issues:

Following a firmware updated on my Netgear 4000 wireless router, my download speeds dropped by half. After switching various machines and Netgear running various test on my HP Pavilion p6774y Desktop PC with a factory installed Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card, Netgear sent the following response:

"Previous Experts did some test on your computer such as running a wireshark and insSider. The wireshark will get the logs of the connection that happening between your computer and the router. This will let us know if the disconnection happens on the router side or on the computer side. There is no indication on the logs that will direct us to the problem of the firmware or the adapter of the computer. The insSider will detect all the channel that is being used even by other user. This will let us know if they are overlapping.
The firmware of the WNDR4000 and WNDR4300 are different. They are not using the same firmware version. You were pointing that the problem happen when you update the firmware of the WNDR4000. Its just that instead of try using a different firmware previous Expert decided to replace it. We can eliminate the problem on the firmware of the WNDR4000 as we can no longer test since you don't have the device anymore. Another isolate that they did, is the fact the you already used two different router (with different model, firmware, driver, and settings) but having the same problem only on your desktop but not on the laptop. 
That is why they refer you to your computer manufacturer because it is unusual to have the same signal problem on one computer that was connected to two different computer. 
I hope this clarify your concern and will help you explain to HP how we isolate the problem on the wireless adapter on your adapter."

I have checked the Ralink card and it apprently has the most recent driver and there is apparently no degradation in operation, it is just now consistently 1/2 slower than before the Netgear firmware update.  Netgear even sent a new router (4300) and the problem remains the same.

Any thoughts?

Student
szekielda
Message 18 of 18 (769 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation