Question

Top Student
johnnyzip
Message 1 of 6 (2,047 Views)

Sleep Mode problem Touchsmart 300-1025 Windows 7

New Touchsart 300-1025 running Windows 7.  Sleep mode works intermittently,  less than fifty percent of the time.   All other times  it  feeezes the monitor to black but does not go into sleep mode.  The power continues running but the monitor remains frozen in black and I cannot get a screen back.  Every time this happens the only solution that I have found is to turn off the computer at the power surge strip and then re-start it.     I have tried using Sleep Mode from all three positions, the Power/Sleep button, the Start/Shut Down, and the wireless keyboard Sleep Button and the problem happens from all three  positions.

When I re-start I get a warning screen that the computer was turned off from other than a normal shutdown and have to choose  re-starting from safe mode or normal mode.  Selecting normal mode re-starts the computer but I am concerned that this will eventually lead to a serious crash from which it won't recover.  I can't find an answer to this problem in either HP or Microsoft help/solutions.  If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate getting it.  thanks. 

Honor Student
flowers
Message 2 of 6 (2,041 Views)

Re: Sleep Mode problem Touchsmart 300-1025 Windows 7

having the same problem..are you having problem with hp advisor and hp assistant.  keep gathering info.

beewee
Top Student
johnnyzip
Message 3 of 6 (2,025 Views)

No, I'm not having any problems with hp advisor or hp assistant as yet or that I know of.  Have only had this new computer for over a week and I'm going from Win xp to Win 7, so learning the new OS has my mind boggled at this point.  Only problem that I can pinpoint is the Sleep Mode. 

OH, and turning off Windows Live Messanger...it pops up everytime I sart the computer and I haven't found the answer for shutting the darn thing down and I don't want it. 

Top Student
johnnyzip
Message 4 of 6 (1,957 Views)

I've found an answer that works good enough for me. Go to Control Panel>System Security>Power Options.  Select "Power Buttons and turn on password protection."   For Power and Sleep Button settings set either Power Button to sleep and Keyboard Sleep Button to do nothing, or vice versa.  OK and close.  My Sleep Mode now works with using only the Power Button turned on and the keyboard sleep button turnd off,  but it won't work with both of them turned on.

I doubt if it is meant to be this way.  Seems I should be able to use both buttons turned on, but since I can't I'm satisified with just being able to go into Sleep Mode from the Power Button or from Start>Sleep.

Top Student
epp911
Message 5 of 6 (1,932 Views)

We had the same problem.  It ended up that we had connected both sets of video cables from our monitor to our computer. You only need one.  When we changed that, everything worked fine.

Top Student
johnnyzip
Message 6 of 6 (1,925 Views)

I'm glad that you solved your problem.  I guess that we had the same problem but different causes and solutions.  I don't have a video cables connected to my computer.  I have a totally wireless setup and the only thing connected to my computer is the power cord.  I'm finding that wireless comes with it own set of problems and creates a lot of frustration.

I am starting to regret that I didn't switch to an Apple I-Mac like I had been considering.  The only reason that I stayed with Windows after more than twenty-five years was because I couldn't convert my Quicken financial files to the Apple version of Quicken.  

Unless I'm beign fooled, Apple users aren't burdened by the problems that we Microsoft Windows users endlessly face.  My next computer will definitely be an I-Mac. My first computer was an Apple purchased in 1981, then I  swiched to Windows because there wasn't a lot software being written for Apple back in those dark days.

I'm fed up with Microsoft and all of the different manufacturers who install Windows on their computers.  I think that it would be like livng in paradise to own a computer manufactured by the same company that produces the operating system...that's Apple. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation