Question

Top Student
S-Allen
Message 1 of 12 (3,510 Views)

Touch Screen Stops Working Sometimes on TouchSmart tm2

I have a TouchSmart tm2-2052nr running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The last couple of days, my touch screen (and the pen) stop working. Restarting the computer usually fixes the problem, but not always. After switching the view or closing the laptop is when the problem occurs the most.

I have tried various things to try and fix this on my own, but I am stumped now. This includes doing a system restore to before when I started to notice the problem, running virus scans, and reinstalling the Wamcom Digitizer Pen driver (sp48676).

I have recently replaced my hard drive and therefore have done a complete system recovery. I have removed several programs and installed others, but nothing that had been different from before my hard drive crashed. Most recently since the crash I had installed Microsoft Office Pro, Adobe CS3, and Adobe Digital Editions. I uninstalled Skype, HP User Guides 0173, and HP QuickWeb Installer. A lot of the TouchSmart apps have also been removed except for the DVD one and Paint It!

My restore points also list "HP Configured" around the time I uninstalled the TouchSmart apps, but I don't know what this all entails.

I should also note that when the TouchScreen stops working, a lot of the drivers under "Human Interface Devices" in the Device Manager go missing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PhD Student
GeorgeFN
Message 2 of 12 (3,493 Views)

Re: Touch Screen Stops Working Sometimes on TouchSmart tm2

I don't know if you've seen this, but there may be something in this doc to help you.  It is an HP doc dealing with troubleshooting the touch screen in Windows 7.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03046857&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

Good luck, hope it helps,

GeorgeFN

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
Top Student
S-Allen
Message 3 of 12 (3,488 Views)

I actually did read that and step through it. It did not help.

However, I think I may have found the solution. Because this is a problem of inconsistency, I cannot say 100% that the following solution works, but so far I have not had any problems.

1. Make sure the touchscreen is working. If not, shut down the computer and start it again until the touchscreen works.

2. Go to the device manager. Look under "Human Interface Devices" for some sort of USB drivers. There should be two (2). These are the problem children. (If the touchscreen is not working, these two drivers will not even show up, hence the reason for restarting the computer in step one)

3. Right-click on one and select "Update Driver Software". Let it run its course and select "Okay" when it is done. You will notice that the name of the driver changes.

4. Repeat for the other "USB" driver.

After the driver software is updated, the names should be "Wacom Gesture Touch" and "Wacom Pen".

Like I said, I am not positive yet that this is the fix, but so far so good. After a few days, I will let everyone know either way.

PhD Student
GeorgeFN
Message 4 of 12 (3,486 Views)

Thanks.  I appreciate hearing how you fixed it and looking forward to hearing more.

GeorgeFN

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
Top Student
S-Allen
Message 5 of 12 (3,483 Views)

Yeah..., so the touch screen stopped working again. I looked at the "Device Manager" again and once more, the drivers are gone. This time it happened after my computer went to sleep for a little bit and I had to log back in. Obviously, there is a problem with my computer re-loading all the drivers, but I have no idea why. There are a few other drivers that disappeared under the same category as well, but I cannot remember which ones they are.

I did get an error this time (though I usually don't) that said that a USB device was not working, but I have no USB devices connected.

Top Student
S-Allen
Message 6 of 12 (3,482 Views)

I should also mention, the "Touch" tab under "Pen and Touch" dialogue disappears as well when the touch screen stops working

Student
TehInternetz
Message 7 of 12 (3,463 Views)

Hi, I have this exact same problem

I've had the computer for about two years.  I usually have the problem after I've taken an airplane flight, and then it kind of fixes itself after a couple weeks.

Top Student
S-Allen
Message 8 of 12 (3,445 Views)

That is so weird, but I did just fly across the country a couple times last month for Christmas and the last couple of days I haven't had a problem, so maybe that's it. Weird, quirky computers...

Top Student
S-Allen
Message 9 of 12 (3,431 Views)

It started acting weird again today, but it has only been a little over a week since I last flew, so I will wait and see.

Does anyone know if doing a full system recovery will fix the problem?

Student
BigHPguy
Message 10 of 12 (2,570 Views)

I have the exact same touchscreen problem.  I have sent my TM2 back to HP for repair.  They sent it back and it worked for awhile but soon after stopped working.  I called again and they spent 2 hours on the phone with me and got it working.  Of course, not long after, it stopped working again. 

Does anyone know of a PERMENANT solution?

On a sidenote, my bluetooth doesn't work either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation