Question

Student
katiedeko
Message 1 of 2 (2,807 Views)

TouchSmart 300 Dvd Player won't read or burn DVD

My dvd player is not working correctly.  I am able read and burn CDs, but the player won't read or write DVDs.  I have a touchsmart 300 running Windows 7.  I was trying to burn some home movies in WMA format.  Movie Maker recognizes a blank DVD, and attempts to burn the DVD, but once it finishes, the disk is blank.  I then tried to just burn a MPG file using another software program and it failed at the validation stage.  Finally, I put a dvd movie in the drive and it wont recognize the disk.  These functions used to work fine.  The computer is only 15 months old, of course I only had a one year warranty.

Is there anyway this could be related to software or is it a hardware problem?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (2,791 Views)

Re: TouchSmart 300 Dvd Player won't read or burn DVD

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

If it still isn't working, try the following.

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation