Question

Tutor
pmcurtis
Message 1 of 9 (1,297 Views)

TouchSmart 310-1125y HP logo blue screen flashes briefly and then Black Screen

I have tried all the fixes F10, wait then F5, wait then Enter, then F10. Does not fix problem.

Tried the F8 but since I can not see anything after the brief HP Logo screen flash - this does not work

I have removed the hard drive, CD drive, and memory and tried to get the BIOS to come up.  I got beeps so I had to install one memory module back.  I tried it with each of them by themselves and that did not bring it up.  I tried a USB keyboard to eliminate the wireless keyboard and that did not make a difference, even tried to boot with no keyboard as well.

I can hit CTRL ALT DEL and duplicate the HP Logo flash over and over with the wireless and USB keyboards so know the monitor is functional.  What I do not know is why it turns off at that point.  There has to be a BIOS issue that HP needs to address because I have read about this happening on other TouchSmart platforms from the PC to the laptops.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?  Do I need to take the mother board out and re-solder the GPU with a rework hot air soldering station?  I might just do that on my own, it cant hurt.

Paul

Retired
Advance23
Message 2 of 9 (1,273 Views)

Re: TouchSmart 310-1125y HP logo blue screen flashes briefly and then Black Screen

Hi pmcurtis,

I will do my best to support you with your black screen issue. Follow the steps in this document for Screen is Blank after Starting the Computer.

Let me know if this helped.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
Tutor
pmcurtis
Message 3 of 9 (1,265 Views)

Re: TouchSmart 310-1125y HP logo blue screen flashes briefly and then Black Screen

Thanks for the help, but unfortunately I have been to that webpage for help and have been through the instructions too many times to count and they simply do not work.  I have even removed the Hard Drive, memory, CD-Rom and wireless mouse/keyboard dongle just to see if I could get it to stay on.  Of course I had to add a memory module back in when I tried to boot up or I would get a beep with out it.  I also moved the memory to the other slot and tried to boot up as well.  I did this with both memory modules and it did not make a difference. 

With the wireless key board or a USB keyboard I am able to perform the F10, F5, enter, F10 steps and it will recycle and I will get another Blue HP LOGO screen to flash up and then the screen goes black.  The other instructions for the LOGO flashes is useless because you need to be able to SEE the screen to perform what is being asked.

I can also duplicate the screen flash by pressing the Control Alt Delete keys and it will start the reboot sequence over and the HP blue LOGO will flash briefly and the screen will remain blank.

I know the computer boots up all the way into Windows 7 because I can hear the start-up chime sounds through the speakers.

As I have searched the inter-web I have found 100's of people with this same problem on this and other platforms of the TouchSmart series.  So I am thinking that HP has coded something wrong in the BIOS for this to happen to so many HP TouchSmartcomputers. 

Just a shot in the dark, but I know that the monitor works because I can see it flash the HP LOGO and I can quickly read it.  So is there a way to update the BIOS using a USB drive that I can perform without seeing the screen? Maybe this might fix the problem. 

Paul

Retired
Advance23
Message 4 of 9 (1,231 Views)

Hi pmcurtis,

I have been researching this and most computer are not set to boot from the USB by default, so you will need to be in the BIOS in order to set it to a USB boot.

If I understand correctly you are not getting any beeping when you start your boot up so I suspect this may be a hardware issue.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Let me know if this helped.

Thank you,

Tutor
pmcurtis
Message 5 of 9 (1,226 Views)

Why would I get a beep if everything is working and the computer boots to Windows 7. I know this because I can hear the startup chimes.

So against why would I get a beep? The issues is the LED's turn off right after the HP Logo flashes. How to get them to stay on is the question.

Retired
Advance23
Message 6 of 9 (1,223 Views)

Hi pmcurtis,

When a computer that will not complete the power on cycle beeps it indicates a system error.  The link for the screen turning blank after starting up did not resolve the issue so I suspect a hardware problem. Again that is why I sent the technical support information.

Thank you.

Top Student
KilroyRock
Message 7 of 9 (1,213 Views)

One beep actually means everything is working just fine, multiple beeps was due to the testing.  Have there been any other solutions created for this problem?  My mother is having this issue and she isn't the most technically savvy, however I am, and have been charged with this task.

Is there any usb bios flash start up fix for this?  Most computers check usb before checking cdrom, before checking harddrive these days, so it may be worth a shot. 

Tutor
pmcurtis
Message 8 of 9 (1,196 Views)

I have been looking all over for a fix for this and everywhere I go they send me t the useless HP black screen page that is useless.

A funny thing happened to me on Saturday, I gave the old HP 310 a try and it booted up fine, screen and all.  I went in and turned off all power saving modes to keep the monitor on.  When I came home today it was dead again.  So I know the monitor works, I just do not know what is taking it out.

This is a common problem and all every HP rep wants to do is tell you to send it in for an out of warranty repair for $299.00.  I think that if we are all having this issue, and it seems to be happening across the TouchSmart line, that HP should repair this issue for free.

Paul

Tutor
pmcurtis
Message 9 of 9 (1,177 Views)

After a two day run, by some dumb luck, I am back to the flashing logo and a no-go condition on this TouschSmart.  It is hit and miss.  I can cycle over and over with the F10, F5, enter, F10 and when I get annoyed I can cycle the logo flash using the old stand-by Control, Alt, Delete.

Anyone esle find a fix for this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation