Question

Honor Student
guymaine
Message 1 of 10 (3,596 Views)

TouchSmart IQ506 freezing frequently

New PC 12/25/08; keyboard/mouse unit replaced 01/02/08; DVD drive replaced two weeks later. Running Vista.

In March, entire unit started freezing up -- maybe a couple of times a week. Has become more frequent. HP support zeroed in on keyboard/mouse problem, suggested I disable 95% of programs running at startup. Didn't help. Have read most of the posts, but don't see anything recent so am starting a new one. Anyone found any solutions? Should add that 4 out of 5 times when it happens, I am typing a message in Windows Mail. Sometimes happens in Word -- never in Excel, Publisher, or Access. I use all of the Office Suite programs on an almost daily basis.

Old messages are very discouraging. Switched from Dell after purchasing 20+ computers over the years, both for company and personal use. Husband fell in love with TouchSmart features. Did we make a mistake? We are retired now, but still have clients for whom we work from home. Had thought this would be the last unit. Still have the Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop, but having all kinds of problems with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Intern
lizard
Message 2 of 10 (3,580 Views)

Re: TouchSmart IQ506 freezing frequently

[ Edited ]

I have a IQ506 and it freezes up constantly also, usually when using Internet Explorer.

I am very disappointed in this computer !  (Worst I have ever had)

Message Edited by lizard on 05-22-2009 10:37 PM
What was I thinking when I bought an HP ?
Oh yea, I wasn't !

IQ504 & IQ506
Honor Student
The_Marine
Message 3 of 10 (3,487 Views)

And I thought it was only me!  I started having freezing problems in April, have recovered the PC at least 12 times, sent the unit to Jeffersonville, IN, they duplicated my problem, but only ran diags on it, and sent it back. Still having the problem, so after mucho calls, they sent me a reconditioned HD, and I switched it,sending the old (new) unit back.  Still having the same problems though. Luckily I have a 5 year old Dell XPS as a backup. I did purchase a 3 year, in home, plan, and will  use it... My unit is an IQ804... Sure getting tired of re-installing all my progams.

Cheers, Ray

Intern
lizard
Message 4 of 10 (3,175 Views)

Try changing the Power Options setting to High Performance.

Helped in my case.

What was I thinking when I bought an HP ?
Oh yea, I wasn't !

IQ504 & IQ506
Student
Message 5 of 10 (3,138 Views)

My IQ826 freezes up constantly also.

I also am very disappointed in this computer !  (Worst I have ever had)

Never was able to install downloaded fixes

In the number1 URGENT update titled " Urgent: HP update fix for Install Cancel issue:

This installation was cancelled also!!!!

I hate Vista Home Premium!
Considering Imac operating system software !

Intern
MarkJohnson
Message 6 of 10 (3,097 Views)

I was having this issue for the longest time.  I finallt sent it into HP and they sent it back with a new BIOS (V5.10).  I wish they would have just sent me the BIOS and save the four week wait.  anyway, I see it is listed in the Touchsmart IQ506 downloads.  make sure you backup your username folder in case something goes wrong.

Good luck

-=Mark=-

Honor Student
rgd54
Message 7 of 10 (2,640 Views)

I have a 504 - had maddening problem with frequent freezes - upgraded from Vista 64 to Windows 7 (64) - no freezes since - huge improvement
Student
louis07
Message 8 of 10 (2,038 Views)

don't feel like the lone ranger buddy. i have called support so many times concerning this issue, its a shame to mention.

the sad part is, they have you go thru all these procedures, and then make you feel like you are the dummy. i paid full price for this piece of crap and i'm truly disappointed w/it. this is the second HP that i have issues with. Never again will i fall to the big name product, that leaves you hanging when you need them the most. i bought an IBM and never even got so much as a whimper from that baby.

Student
whazup1964
Message 9 of 10 (1,978 Views)

iq506 freezes up literally every 5 minutes.  boots up to blue screen. I have tried to run diagnostics and it comes back fine.  Will reboot normal, reboot in safe, within 5 mins it's freezes.  Doesn''t matter if I am in IE, Foxfire, word, excel or even if I am in the help, or update center.  When I get to the desk top I have tried defrag, going onto the internet to search for solutions and it freezes up.  I have noticed in the past this will happen if my mouse or keyboard batteries are low but I have replaced them (Although they had juice)  I really need help on this.

Ventation below:

I am really disappointed in the computer.  Within 2 weeks of buying this elephant I have had trouble, lost the hard drive, spent numerous hours fighting with it, numerous hours on the phone with tech  about every 2 months it's something..  I am sorry I ever bought this thing and will probably pull my old dell out of the closet and go back to it.  I am really thiking of smashing it all to heck and mailing it back to HP peice by freakin peice.  Junk.

Student
kesco128
Message 10 of 10 (433 Views)

Same problem here.  This has been going on for over 2 years now.  It freezes probably every 15 to 20 minutes and it doesn't seem to matter what we might be doing.  WORST COMPUTER EVER!!   I've tried searching to see if I could post a review so no one else makes this mistake, but couldn't find anything. 

WE WILL NEVER BUY HP AGAIN!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation