Question
TouchSmart IQ506 video problems in Windows 7 Ultimate.
Replies (25)

Intern
MarkJohnson
Message 11 of 26 (2,132 Views)

Re: TouchSmart IQ506 video problems in Windows 7 Ultimate.

you may want to install the Windows 7 drivers.  They should be available now.

You can also uninstall your current driver and use Windows Update to install the Windows driver.  It's usually an older driver, but is suppose to be verified working.

Good luck

-=Mark=-

Tutor
ASorkey
Message 12 of 26 (2,131 Views)

I have the latest Windows 7 drivers, they are the problem.
Intern
MarkJohnson
Message 13 of 26 (2,130 Views)

Did you try downloading the Windows 7 drivers?  If HP doesn't have them up yet, then nvidia should.

Good luck

-=Mark=-

Top Student
Diesel54
Message 14 of 26 (2,065 Views)

I had the same problem (and lack of relief from tech support).

JimT and Boss Hog Ky's solution fixed the problem on my IQ506t:

1. install winrar.

2. then download the hp iq506 Vista x64 bit version of the update driver to your local hard drive...

3. then using windows file explorer, right click on the driver exe and select "Extract to sp35723\"

4. Move into the sp35723\src directory and run setup.exe from there.

5. A reboot will be required.

My expperience was:

I let HP do the autodetect and it sent me to the IQ506t site which did not have that patch under Vista 64.  When I typed in IQ506, I found it.  So far, so good (no flicker) although it did give me a scare when the screen went black and stayed that way during the install (usually it goes black for a few seconds then returns when updating a video driver).  After the re-boot, it appears that all is well.

Wish I could get the 12 hours of my life back that I spent on the phone last week with HP/MS/Nvidia tech support.

Honor Student
georgetv
Message 15 of 26 (2,045 Views)

having same flicker problem even after loading update to nvidia windows 7... so i will try your vista fix... but when i click on your link to the driver, io get a "forbidden" page.
Top Student
Diesel54
Message 16 of 26 (2,030 Views)

I had the same problem with that link when I was trying to fix mine. 

I then let HP do the autodetect and it sent me to the IQ506t site which did not have that patch under Vista 64.  When I typed in IQ506, I found it as the second patch under the Vista 64 group.  So far, so good (no flicker) although it did give me a scare when the screen went black and stayed that way during the install (usually it goes black for a few seconds then returns when updating a video driver).  After the re-boot, it appears that all is well.

Intern
MarkJohnson
Message 17 of 26 (1,587 Views)

Well, I just reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium x64 after upgrading my firmware for my OCZ Summit 60GB SSD to fix the TRIM issue and I still get the flicker and I'm in the process of installing the Vista driver.

DOES HP PLAN ON ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE AFTER OVER 4 MONTHS OF WINDOWS 7 RELEASE?

I surely hope soon

-=Mark=-

Intern
lizard
Message 18 of 26 (1,556 Views)

Likely not !

Their tech support is abysmal and their firmware updates are far and few between.  About 25-30% of the firmware updates get pulled down as they are incorrect.

What was I thinking when I bought an HP ?
Oh yea, I wasn't !

IQ504 & IQ506
Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 19 of 26 (1,274 Views)

FYI  - There was an updated Video BIOS posted a while back that resolves this issue - I believe it was pushed out on HP Update as well.   SoftPaq SP46261...

Those still experiencing this problem, or those who worked around it by using Vista drivers, might want to check the product software/driver pages for their model #.

Here is the fw driver link from the IQ506 page.   Note that links can change over time, so if it doesn't work - again - check the product page for updated versions.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-82503-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...=

-dm (a long-time HP employee, but the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Intern
MarkJohnson
Message 20 of 26 (1,257 Views)

Thanks for the infor.  I see they have the Formware update to the video card on the IQ506 page, unfortunately the latest video driver doesn't.  It's strange that your link to the driver says it's for the IQ506, but it isn't linked to the IQ506 page.

I'm installing both right now.

Thanks

-=Mark=-

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation