Question

Tutor
Cheryl75684
Message 1 of 8 (3,159 Views)

TouchSmart not working properly

I haven't used the TouchSmart program much. However, it did work when I did. Today, I find that it gets stuck in Photos, my NOTES and WEB cam won't work. I can find the WebCam under devices and it says it's working. However, my IM program cannot find it and it won't work. MY PHOTOS just stays stuck in Photos and I have to use Task Manager to get out.

I've updated some of the drivers for Bios and other things but nothing helps this problem.

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 2 of 8 (3,140 Views)

Re: TouchSmart not working properly

What is your TouchSmart model number? Are you running Vista or Windows 7?

Tutor
Cheryl75684
Message 3 of 8 (3,130 Views)

My model is the IQ816.........Vista Home Premium. I got the web cam to working through finding another person's question. (Taking Windows Live off my start menu).........but still can't get away from the thing going to Photos and staying there until I use Task Manager to get out.

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 8 (3,111 Views)

Tutor
Cheryl75684
Message 5 of 8 (3,105 Views)

I didn't even have this compputer in 2008 when this patch is dated. I bought it in April '09.........should I still install it? You would think it would already be patched.

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 6 of 8 (3,099 Views)

You can go to Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, scroll down to HP TouchSmart Music/Photo/Video, opt to show the version information and see if the version is newer or older and make a decision.

Hypthetically speaking, there is the option of uninstalling the installed version (that's giving you problems), restarting and then installing the downloaded version.

Tutor
Cheryl75684
Message 7 of 8 (3,093 Views)

Thanks, PC Tester..............I looked. Does that mean that the patch is actually the whole program? If so, and mine is corrupted some way, that might be the way to go.

Oops....

Just looked...my Music/Photo/Video etc has a date of 7-9/09 and the whole TouchSmart is 9/12/09 so I suppose the updates have been patching it.

Tutor
Cheryl75684
Message 8 of 8 (1,605 Views)

Re: TouchSmart web came not working properly/at all

[ Edited ]

I am back again........... My web cam says it works properly under devices. However, i cannot even find it in my Touchsmart program and it doesn't work in Yahoo IM... I think some time or other I have used it with Skype and Google Talk over time. I upgraded some time ago to Windows 7 Home. I uninstalled and re-installed my Touchsmart software to see if that helped all my crashing and blue screen problems. None of these things have helped it much. I just keep struggling along with this computer until such time as I can decide I can spend a lot of money on a computer again.

I would appreciate in the meantime, figuring out how to get to this web cam like I did when I bought this computer. Then I only had to go to the Touchsmart screen and touch web cam...or it would come up if a program needed it.

I have spent hours downloading and applying updates to everything possible for this computer and OS.

Any help is appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation