Question

Honor Student
Raltaki
Message 1 of 6 (606 Views)

Touchsmart 300 display issues

Greetings,

My touchsmart 300 had a failed motherboard ( the fans would just kick on high speed with nothing else happening).  After replacing the motherboard I got the computer up and running, but now the screen just flickers through a bunch of random images.  First it will be black, then flicker white, and then show horizontal color bars and then flicker white all over, then more color bars.  What is it doing?  How do I fix it?

-Ben

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 2 of 6 (562 Views)

Re: Touchsmart 300 display issues

Hello,

How long did you replaced the motherboard?

This might be the video card, either drivers or the hardware had gone faulty.

First tell me your exact model number of the unit, its a 300 series but you should have 4 more digits telling you about the model.

First, i would suggest to remove the video driver to install it again and see what happens. To do this, go to start, control panel, search for system and then after clicking on it, select device manager on the upper left corner. THenon the new window look for video adapter, expand it and then right click and select remove and restart the PC. Check if the problem persists.

If yes, let me know about the model number of the unit to check what video card you have and what drivers updates are there for your model.

Thanks,

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Honor Student
Raltaki
Message 3 of 6 (554 Views)

It is the HP Touchsmart 300-1000 and it does this weird test pattern on boot before loading the operating system (I tested that by removing the HDD altogether) so it has nothing to do with software of any kind.  

Also I just replaced the motherboard.  It might have been a bad board, but I wanted to make sure tehre wasn't some kind of configuration option hidden somewhere that I could manipulate into making this work. 

The weirdest part is that if I connect the display cable to the other available output on the motherboard I get a white screen.

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 4 of 6 (536 Views)

Hello,

You are saying that you connect the display cable to the other output, which output are you referring?

Despite those bars on boot, can you then use the unit perfectly and only that test pattern as you called it is appearing?

Let me know.

Thanks

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Honor Student
Raltaki
Message 5 of 6 (525 Views)

On the motherboard there are two places which can be used to connect the ribon cable from the display.  The primary one, which displays the test pattern, and the secondary one which simply displays a white screen.  

The test pattern never stops displaying so I have no way of knowing if anything is happening on the desktop per normal.

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 6 of 6 (505 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Please connect the cable back to the slot where you do see the test pattern.

I was checking your motherboard layout and you are correct, you have two ports to connect the display cable but that will depend on the type of video card you have installed on your system,

• One MXM LVDS graphics connector [MXM LVDS]
  • One UMA LVDS graphics connector [UMA LVDS]

You have a integrated video card installed so, what might be happening is that you connected the display cable to the MXM LVDS port instead of the UMA LVDS port, so that is the reason for the white screen.

Then, try to clear the CMOS using the steps on this document.

Let me know if this helped.

Thanks,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation