Question

Honor Student
jackburton11
Message 1 of 6 (1,827 Views)

Touchsmart 600-1050 CD Drive Won't Read VCD CDs...

So I have the Touchsmart 600-1050 with the hp CDDVDW TS-T633P CD drive. Everything is working fine, until one day the CD drive decides it doesn't want to recognize my VCD CDs anymore. This is strange, becuase it read VCDs just fine. (The VCDs were recorded on CD-R's.) Instead of recognizing the VCDs, the CD drive reads it as a "blank CD-R disc". It is not, of course.

The strange thing is that this has just started happening, and I don't know why. I used to watch VCDs on my Touchsmart all the time, until one day, it started reading the CDs as blank CDs. Makes no sense. DVDs, Data CDs, and other CD-R recorded discs work just fine. This only happens with VCDs (which are essentially music video CDS, karaokes, and the like.)

By the way, I tried playing the VCDs on my laptop, which runs the same Windows 7 OS, and it reads/runs just fine. It's just this Touchsmart's hp CDDVDW TS-T633P...

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stump.

Thanks!

Honor Student
jackburton11
Message 2 of 6 (1,726 Views)

Re: Touchsmart 600-1050 CD Drive Won't Read VCD CDs...

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm glad to know that HP's support system is alive and kicking.

/sarcasm

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 3 of 6 (1,721 Views)

Hi jackburton11:

Boy that's bummer. Looks like you are going to need to replace your disc drive. It is easy to do just a little time consuming removing the back pannel and screws. Contact HP store and give them all your computers information so that they can send you the right part. Also ask them for the link with the instructions and pictures on how to replace it. If your computer is still under warranty then just go a head and contact HP Support Direct on line. They will ship it out to with in three days. Sorry for not responding fast enough just got home. This chat forum is all volunteer just regular people helping out each other. O.K. Champ. If you have troubles getting the part and diagrams. Please repost then I will do my best to give you the information.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 4 of 6 (1,720 Views)

Back again Jackburton:

Directions for replacing Optical drive. Goto our update page and where you see Question or keywords: search box type in Optical drive.  That will bring up a new page. Click on Replacing the CD/DVD drive. Next page will be your directions with excellent pictures to follow.

Part number is 466803-001 in stock.  4X Blu-ray Disc reader/Supermulti Slimslot DVD-ROM SATA optical - With attached bezel. Price $257.21. If you order it on line use promotion code US21000015 to receive 15% discount.

I look up all your information for you. My Touchsmart is the same as yours HP Touchsmart 600-1050. Had HP Sale Rep on line gave me above information . It takes about three days to ship. About 45 minutes to install your self. Like I said earler just a little time consuming with all the little screws envolved removing back pannell. If you need futher assistant just post. Remember those of us who answers your post are all volunteers very few of them are HP employees. So some times we can't respond fast enough but eventually your question will get answered. Good Luck I already had to replace my Optical drive.

Student
tolinhas
Message 5 of 6 (344 Views)

Never ever work and no drives.No help about this.Don`t spend your time for nothing.I had  try search Hp.And no Joy.Hp not even know this drive .But they have  a new one for about $300  bananas.So **bleep**`em all.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 6 of 6 (330 Views)

Hello tolinhas:

Hard on luck sorry you got a poor HP representative who miss guided you. Yes HP does sell and carries this optical drive. Part # 513197-001 DVD+/- R/RW 8X SMD LSCRIBE S.SLOT SATA Part price $61.00 not $300.00.  You have to remember that HP's Optical drive does not play all cd's / dvd's or reads software disks. Unless you purchase the update. Witch coast $80.00 +-. You can do what I did and that was I bought an external cd/dvd drive. Cheeper then buying the update witch you need to buy again if you do a factory restore.

This is an excellent one I bought witch allows to watch DVD movies most of them do not allow this. LENOVO Slim USB Portable DVD Burner 0A33988.http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-0A33988-Slim-USB-Portable-DVD-Burner/product_IM1KM1564  You might be able to find it cheeper as well. I click on the first link I came to. I have used this to install windows 95 and windows XP and any other software that HP's optical drive would not open plus watched very old DVD movies. It works great and you can use on other computers will fit in breif case pocket should you use it on your lap top.

I hope this information has helped you. You are welcome frrw.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation