Honor Student
Message 1 of 3 (1,472 Views)

Touchsmart 610-1030f Hard Drive Replacement

HP Touchsmart 610-1030f

My hard drive has failed. Second one in just over 2 years. Not too happy with that, but...

The specs for the hard drive of this specific machine are:

Size: 750 GB

Interface: SATA

Transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec

Rotational speed: 7200 RPM

Can I replace it with a 1 GB SATA drive with a transfer rating of 6.0 Gb/sec at 7200 RPM? I do recognize capacity isn't the issue here. Just the transfer rating is the main question. Will the controller handle the drive?

Message 2 of 3 (1,452 Views)

Re: Touchsmart 610-1030f Hard Drive Replacement

[ Edited ]

There is one thing that scares me and it is this document.

Why does it scare me?

SATA III hard drives are supposed to be backward compatible, yet HP puts out a bulletin that says only use a SATA III HDD made for HP for the workstations listed in the bulletin.

I have a HP dc7800 business desktop, Intel series 3 chipset with a SATA II HDD controller.

It came with an 80 GB HDD and I thought I would beef it up a bit, so I got a good deal on a WD Caviar Black 500 GB SATA III HDD.

I had not read that document prior to purchasing the hard drive.

The hard drive exhibited all of the symptoms referenced in the document. Of course, I assumed the HDD was bad and RMA'd it for another one.

The replacement drive did the exact same things.

Now I knew I was in trouble for some unknown reason.

I also have a HP 8200 Elite CMT Intel Series 6 chipset (SATA III controller).  It came with a 1 TB SATA III HDD.

I decided to swap the drives. I put the Seagate HP 1 TB drive in my dc7800 and it has worked perfectly for the last 2 years. Not one hiccup.

The WD Caviar Black 500 GB SATA III HDD works perfectly in my 8200 Elite.

I have the model number of the Seagate HP drive that came with my PC, and if you want to buy that one, it is still available.  ST31000524AS

My concern being that my pc was not on the list of PC's in the bulletin, but it exhibited the exact issues which completely were non-existent after installing the HP Seagate SATA III drive.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (1,447 Views)

Re: Touchsmart 610-1030f Hard Drive Replacement

Well that is truly interesting and disheartening. Not sure what to do now? Might just buy the 3.0 Gb/sec drive which is now more expensive than the 6.0.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation