Question

Honor Student
JeffreyC
Message 1 of 3 (781 Views)

Touchsmart 610-1030f Hard Drive Replacement

HP Touchsmart 610-1030f

My hard drive has failed. Second one in just over 2 years. Not too happy with that, but...

The specs for the hard drive of this specific machine are:

Size: 750 GB

Interface: SATA

Transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec

Rotational speed: 7200 RPM

Can I replace it with a 1 GB SATA drive with a transfer rating of 6.0 Gb/sec at 7200 RPM? I do recognize capacity isn't the issue here. Just the transfer rating is the main question. Will the controller handle the drive?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (761 Views)

Re: Touchsmart 610-1030f Hard Drive Replacement

[ Edited ]

Hi:

There is one thing that scares me and it is this document.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?javax.portlet.begCach...

Why does it scare me?

SATA III hard drives are supposed to be backward compatible, yet HP puts out a bulletin that says only use a SATA III HDD made for HP for the workstations listed in the bulletin.

I have a HP dc7800 business desktop, Intel series 3 chipset with a SATA II HDD controller.

It came with an 80 GB HDD and I thought I would beef it up a bit, so I got a good deal on a WD Caviar Black 500 GB SATA III HDD.

I had not read that document prior to purchasing the hard drive.

The hard drive exhibited all of the symptoms referenced in the document. Of course, I assumed the HDD was bad and RMA'd it for another one.

The replacement drive did the exact same things.

Now I knew I was in trouble for some unknown reason.

I also have a HP 8200 Elite CMT Intel Series 6 chipset (SATA III controller).  It came with a 1 TB SATA III HDD.

I decided to swap the drives. I put the Seagate HP 1 TB drive in my dc7800 and it has worked perfectly for the last 2 years. Not one hiccup.

The WD Caviar Black 500 GB SATA III HDD works perfectly in my 8200 Elite.

I have the model number of the Seagate HP drive that came with my PC, and if you want to buy that one, it is still available.  ST31000524AS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

My concern being that my pc was not on the list of PC's in the bulletin, but it exhibited the exact issues which completely were non-existent after installing the HP Seagate SATA III drive.

Honor Student
JeffreyC
Message 3 of 3 (756 Views)

Re: Touchsmart 610-1030f Hard Drive Replacement

Well that is truly interesting and disheartening. Not sure what to do now? Might just buy the 3.0 Gb/sec drive which is now more expensive than the 6.0.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation