Question
Touchsmart Netflix login will not connect
Replies (59)

Honor Student
dunaengus
Message 21 of 60 (3,202 Views)

Re: Touchsmart Netflix login will not connect

I just bought a TouchSmart 600-1390 this week and cannot login to the HP Netflix app.

I've tried several accounts and updated Silverlight, but I always get the error message that my email/password is incorrect.

I have no problems logging in outside of the HP app.

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 22 of 60 (3,195 Views)

dunaengus wrote:

I just bought a TouchSmart 600-1390 this week and cannot login to the HP Netflix app.

I've tried several accounts and updated Silverlight, but I always get the error message that my email/password is incorrect.

I have no problems logging in outside of the HP app.

Did you notice the earlier posts in the thread where it was pointed out that HP knows about the issue and it's on the Netflix side? it's known issue at this time

Top Student
backbeatcat
Message 23 of 60 (3,103 Views)

OK, this is pretty ridiculous. I understand that we can use the web app, but we use our computer as a TV in our kitchen and a big selling point of the touchsmart was the HP software that makes it SOOOOO easy to access netflix, hulu and rhapsody. It has taken way too long to fix. Come on HP/Netflix.. get it together!!!

Student
kog523
Message 24 of 60 (3,005 Views)

This would be nice to have a small update from either side on what the heck is going on.

Student
spotmonkey
Message 25 of 60 (2,965 Views)

I have the same issue going on.  Touchsmart 600.  When I 1st got my computer about 6 months ago this feature worked.  I recently changed my netflix password and now I can't log in.  I am able to log on to netflix.com with my brower without issue.  The issue is only when I try to use the HP/Netflix app.  The error is "* The email or password you entered is wrong..."

Please resolve this ASAP, this app allowed me to sleep in in the morning, while my kids started a movie themselves!!!

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 26 of 60 (2,962 Views)

An update on this.

NetFlix has replicated the issue, and have identified it as an issue with the way certain apps authenticate, this after NetFlix moved from their own authentication service to a "cloud" service hosted by a major vendor.

Network traces have indicated that most of the authentication is working, but there is one piece that isn't.   They are looking to see if they can "work around" it on their server side for a short term fix.   They are not sure this can be done or not.

Long term, NetFlix has recommended that HP modify the TouchSmart and MediaSmart NetFlix applications.   They are working with the HP application developer to identify what changes need to be made.  Once this happens, the updated apps will have to go through an (accelerated) qualification process, and a patch would be distributed on HP.COM as well as via HP Support Assistant and HP Update

I'll make sure that a link to the update is posted to the forum when it is available.   I do wish, as all of you do, this or a workaround was available sooner, but please bear with us.

In the interim, I recommend using NetFlix via your web browser or alternate application.  Myself, I like/use the NetFlix application from the Movies section within Windows Media Center as it integrates well with the wireless remote control, and you can still use touch, if you desire.  It also remembers your login information if you opt to store it.

-DM (while I'm a long-time HP employee, the comments/suggestions here are my own, not those of my employer)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Student
rrounsavill
Message 27 of 60 (2,765 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I can open Netflix with my browser but not with the Touchsmart netflix login Icon.

Student
PlaneCTI
Message 28 of 60 (2,711 Views)

I have found a work-around, but it is a pain and I found it by accident. As for the others, my Touchscreen login doesn't work, but going through a browser does. If you start to sign-up for a new Trial from the touchscreen app login, and then cancel on the second screen (where you enter your payment), the app sends you to the normal Netflix login screen we usually see in a browser. In the upper right corner is the 'Already have an Account' LOGIN. If you press it and login in there... you are in and everything works.

On another note... is this the same type of login/security issue that makes it so that our Droids cannot watch movies on them? I am getting upset, it seems like half the items that are "Supposed" to work with Netflix DON'T!

Any Comments or Ideas?

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 29 of 60 (2,703 Views)

I was given an updated version of the TouchSmart and MediaSmart NetFlix apps to test - verified that they figured it out and they've coded a solution.  I saw the patch requests for both come through yesterday - as mentioned earlier, I'll post a link to the update as soon as I see a link go live.

-DM (while I'm a long-time HP employee, the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Student
ggrreegg
Message 30 of 60 (2,687 Views)

I'd appreciate it.  The touchscreen is the only reason we bought this computer and Netflix is our daughter's favorite.  She's too young to use a mouse but she's been queuing up apps on the touchscreen before she was two.  She's 2 1/2 now and doesn't quite understand why it doesn't work ;-) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation