Question

Top Student
trd2
Message 1 of 10 (7,377 Views)
Accepted Solution

Trying to upgrade to TouchSmart 5.0 from 4.0

According to the HP website:

--cut and pasted from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02950314

If you have a TouchSmart PC that is using HP TouchSmart 4.0 software, you can upgrade it 5.0 by installing the HP TouchSmart Upgrade Enabler from the Software and Driver download page for your HP TouchSmart PC model number and then using HP Support Assistant to download all the available updates.

I have looked everywhere and cant find any TouchSmart Upgrade Enabler.  Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks...

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 2 of 10 (7,369 Views)

Re: Trying to upgrade to TouchSmart 5.0 from 4.0

The key is:

by installing the HP TouchSmart Upgrade Enabler from the Software and Driver download page for your HP TouchSmart PC model number and then using HP Support Assistant to download all the available updates.

Not all models are going to be eligible for upgrade, that's been the case for the last few upgrades.

Give it some time to settle and you may see the enabler show up for some models.

Intern
dhanning
Message 3 of 10 (7,089 Views)

I successfully upgraded to 4.0 recently on my TouchSmart 610xt (1105). Then found reference to this update: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54879.exe (see the last few comments from this page: http://www.geektieguy.com/2011/09/26/a-brief-history-of-five-touchsmart-generationspioneering-ideas-...) 

I created a restore point, ran the above update (for 5.1 actually), rebooted and now I have the new carousel / windows integration bit.

This will not update any apps (it's not clear to me that there are any new apps for TouchSmart 5.x ??) but all the previous apps appear to work fine.

Good luck!

Tutor
GeekTieGuy
Message 4 of 10 (7,063 Views)

Be aware that HP doesn't support any upgrades from 4.0 to 5.x. You're doing this at your own risk and giving up any chance of support from HP if anything in the TouchSmart software suite doesn't work.

-- signature begin --
I work for HP, but I'm not an official spokesperson. Whatever you hear me say or see me write, it's just my personal view.
-- signature end --
Tutor
griff7
Message 5 of 10 (7,047 Views)

That's exactly the problem.  HP doesn't support older users.  The focus only on the current product line and tend to abandon previous purchasers.  Maybe HP should take a lesson from Apple and provide free upgrades for at least a couple of years.

I'd pay for a upgrade if it was available, and easy to install.  I haven't upgraded to 4.0 yet after the installation instructions described that it takes hours to install and required users to install numerous individual programs and install them in a particular order.  Who has time to sit in front of there computer for hours trying to install an update.  HP doesn't have the software engineers to create a decent installation package?

-mm

owner of a less than 2 year old Touchsmart 600

Tutor
GeekTieGuy
Message 6 of 10 (7,039 Views)

[ Edited ]

griff7 wrote:

That's exactly the problem.  HP doesn't support older users.  The focus only on the current product line and tend to abandon previous purchasers.  Maybe HP should take a lesson from Apple and provide free upgrades for at least a couple of years.

I'd pay for a upgrade if it was available, and easy to install.  I haven't upgraded to 4.0 yet after the installation instructions described that it takes hours to install and required users to install numerous individual programs and install them in a particular order.  Who has time to sit in front of there computer for hours trying to install an update.  HP doesn't have the software engineers to create a decent installation package?

-mm

owner of a less than 2 year old Touchsmart 600

I've invested personal time into creating a new upgrade package that makes the upgrade to TouchSmart 4.0 as easy as I can imagine. Check it out at http://www.touchsmartdevzone.com/download/4070/TS4Upgrade/ It's had 252 downloads since being published last Monday. It still takes between an hour and two hours to perform the upgrade, but you don't need to spend time babysitting it or worry about installing things in a particular order.

Just out of curiosity: How much would you pay for an upgrade?

-- signature begin --
I work for HP, but I'm not an official spokesperson. Whatever you hear me say or see me write, it's just my personal view.
-- signature end --
Tutor
griff7
Message 7 of 10 (7,035 Views)

Thanks for your hard work. Maybe HP should pay since you are doing there work for them.

If your installer had been out earlier I'd certainly have used it, but with the release of 5.0 I think I'll hold out a little longer for an installer that works on my machine. If after a month or so there is no sign of HP stepping up to provide a working upgrade path to 5.0 I'll try your installer. (I did try, without succes, the TouchSmart Application Update file some have used to upgrade without success but so far just get an error and an unsuccessful install)
Tutor
GeekTieGuy
Message 8 of 10 (7,032 Views)

griff7 wrote:
Thanks for your hard work. Maybe HP should pay since you are doing there work for them.

They do pay me, so don't worry about that :smileyhappy:. The upgrade app was just not part of my "formal" day job.

-- signature begin --
-- signature end --
Tutor
griff7
Message 9 of 10 (7,029 Views)

Regarding how much I'd pay for an upgrade (sorry should have read the whole post before replying the first time) I'd pay up to $30 for a substantial upgrade.  (That's how much I just paid for the Lion upgrade on my Mac).

-mm

Honor Student
roberttolbert69
Message 10 of 10 (6,472 Views)

Re: can you upgrade to touchsmart 5.0 i have 4.0

True there is no Upgrade path for this currently !! But I used this link http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54879.exe this is a download link for the Touchsmart 5.1! I download it and used winrar to view it  or use 7zip or something along those programs. I then hit the install.exe and that seemed to work for me! Hope that helps ! But here is a small vid on youtube for proof! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TfhMXzskk8 !!! I know i know the video sucks but,I really suck at making them but you get the general Idea on what and how I upgraded mine! Good luck and if you have problems or Questions just leave me a message! Thanks Roberttolbert69

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation