Question

Honor Student
rkayd
Message 1 of 4 (5,371 Views)

Turn off screen

[ Edited ]

I was wondering if there is an easier way to turn off the screen on my TouchSmart IQ526 than using the Fn F9 keys. It would be nice to have a desktop shortcut since I don't always have my keyboard right handy. Also if the room is dark its sometimes hard to find where both the keys are and it would be nice, if using a keyboard shortcut, to be able to use one hand to do it. I have tried apps that blank the screen but they don't actually turn it off but rather leave a glow. I sleep right next to my computer so don't like that glow and usually if I happen to bump the mouse or my blanket gets close to the screen it wakes it up. I wish the power button could control the screen. So far I've been using the original keyboard, but what if I replace it? Then I won't have the Fn key.

Are there any codes that can be used in a sendkey command that replicate the Fn F9 keys? Or if there is a program out there that actually switches off the screen could you direct me to it? Of course I would need to be able to turn the screen back on so hopefully the program would somehow allow for that.

<<EDIT>>

I don't want to put the computer to sleep as I often have it working during the night.

Teacher
Blue_Brain
Message 2 of 4 (5,341 Views)

Re: Turn off screen

Sorry to say that there is no other way to turn off the monitor/screen of your Touchsmart PC. However, you may go to control panel and then power options and choose the time after which you wish to turn off only the monitor.

This way the PC will be running with full system resources and the screen be shutdown. While in sleep mode, the PC will not run with 100% usage of system resources.

Honor Student
rkayd
Message 3 of 4 (5,338 Views)

Actually, for those interested, I did find a good program for switching off the screen at http://www.redmondpie.com/turn-off-your-notebook-lcd-with-one-click/ It actually turns the screen off completely. It turns back on with mouse movement but I will just be careful not to have my mouse where I can bump it or turn my mouse off.

Now for another question (also related to the screen but the touch part); before I restored my computer I found a program (or actually i think it might have been a control panel setting) that I could easily turn off the touch properties of the screen. I can't find that now. does anyone have any idea what I may be talking about? the reason I think it may have been a control panel property is that it was hard making a shortcut to pin to the taskbar. I couldn't pin it directly so I made a shortcut on my desktop then pinned the shortcut to the taskbar.

if you know what I mean, is this a Windows program or an HP program. When I restored my computer, for some reason I chose to not upgrade but installed a new Windows 7 so I lost all my HP specific things, so if this is an HP thing I guess I can't use it or would there be some way to download just that? I especially liked this app so I could turn off the touch properties to clean the screen without turning off the computer.

Teacher
Blue_Brain
Message 4 of 4 (5,314 Views)

The HP Touchscreen Configuration was an option provided in Windows Vista. However, you may go to control panel and see the option Pen and Touch devices to disable/enable the touch screen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation