Unable to Control Volume on Hp Touchsmart 610 (4443 Views)
Honor Student
duckeith
Message 1 of 21 (4,443 Views)

Unable to Control Volume on Hp Touchsmart 610

Hello,

I just received my brand new custom HP Touchsmart 610 system.  I've found that I am unable to lower the master volume at all.  I have tried using the mouse to lower the volume on the sound mixer, the keyboard buttons and side monitor buttons.

Every time I lower the sound to say 50% it immediately slides back up to 100% automatically.  It's as if a "Volume Up" button is perpetually being held down, but no button is stuck on the keyboard or monitor.  I called HP and we did a full system restore but it did not resolve the issue, so they said to send it back.  While waiting on a new computer, I figured I'd give the forum a shot. 

Anyone have this problem?

And also,

Another question... The HP My Touch Volume control that auto opens on the desktop when I turn the computer on can not be taken off the desktop.  The only way I was able to get rid of it was to end the My Touch process in task manager, but it seems like I should be able to disable that volume display on the desktop, and only open it when I want to adjust monitor settings...

Thanks so much for any help!

Honor Student
jamison
Message 2 of 21 (4,366 Views)

Re: Unable to Control Volume on Hp Touchsmart 610

I am having the exact same problem.  I have updated my computer with the latest drivers and still no luck.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Honor Student
jamison
Message 3 of 21 (4,363 Views)

appears to be a conflict between hardware drivers.  Here is what I did and I am good to go.

HP My Display X64 Edition 1.35 Uninstall
start menu in the edit control type device manager
In Device Manager Select Sound, video and game controllers
Select (right click) IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
select uninstall
Pop up, select delete check box and then OK
Reboot
connect to the internet
start menu in the edit control type device manager
Scan for hardware changes
(when this is done you should have High Definition Audio Device)
Download sp51866 audio driver from HP.  Install it
after 15 seconds a dialog will come up (yes, no, cancel) select yes
a reboot dialog will come up.  Select yes

The volume control on the side of the monitor does not work, but the keyboard volume control works and the normal windows (icon) control works.
Since I doubt I would use the side of the monitor anyway, this works for me.  I have not yet tried the windows media player remote, but am hopeful

Honor Student
duckeith
Message 4 of 21 (4,336 Views)

[ Edited ]

today when i turned my computer on the HP my touch display did not load on the screen upon start up...  I am able to adjust the volume like normal now.

If I use the keyboard and adjust the volume the my touch display pops up and adjusts and then fades away when complete, like it should, I assume...

the side monitor volume buttons do not work at all now though, which im not complaining about...

I didn't do anything myself to fix it, it sounds like HP might have done an update...

So you might want to restore back to before you un-installed everything and see if it works for you too now...

EDIT:  3 hours later after coming back to the computer, I have the same problem... Now I'm totally confused...

Student
samfreak8
Message 5 of 21 (4,072 Views)

Hello,

I got my HP Touchsmart 610 last week and am having the same problem. Did HP ever resolve your problem with the new PC that they sent to you? Or should I go ahead and remove the device driver and re-install?

Any guidance/help is appreciated.

Thanks !

Honor Student
duckeith
Message 6 of 21 (4,058 Views)

Hey, I was sent a new PC by HP and the new one worked normally as it should.... They took it back with no problem and let me keep the old till the new one arrived a few weeks later and I promptly got a refund after mailing the old one back.  Definitely call them, they were more than willing to help and took off 15% I believe on the new one...

Student
robnoxious05
Message 7 of 21 (4,019 Views)

Well Well Well!! I have the same problem. I will go back to Best Buy today and see what they give me as a reolution. I just bought my computer 3 days ago.

Has anyone resolved this issue without having to replace their original product?? This is really an inconvenience.

What do you do with your programs you installed that only had one user license available???????? Please help

Top Student
gotalottaHP
Message 8 of 21 (3,908 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi to all that have volume control issues on the Touchscreen 610,

Here is my experience:

I received my replacement (long story) TouchSmart 610-1180qd Win 7 64 bit computer from HP on Friday 07/15/2011. Right out of the box the volume control registered 100% and returned to 100% despite attempts to control it via mouse clicks and keyboard control.

My initial thought was to check and update the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC device and driver. At first, I simply disabled this driver which effectively gave me back control. Of course this is an unacceptable solution because it should work right out of the box, right? Upon reenabling the driver, the problem returned. I updated the driver but the problem persisted.

Perplexed as I was, I discovered that if I manually set the volume control using the volume control located on the left side case , it would allow a setting less than 100% and stay at settings which I deemed comfortable. At least for a while...

This solution was short-lived because when I attempted to adjust the screen down to "tablet mode", the volume immediately shot back to 100%. You see, when I grasped the case on the sides (where we are told to handle in order to adjust into the tablet configuration, that is, semi-flat on the desk), apparently some contact is made where the volume control is given the order to increase (this is not me accidentally pushing the buttons with my hand). The volume will stay there until I manually change it back using the left side case volume controls.

OK. So now I think there is a defect in the case design that causes the volume control to migrate to 100%. Perhaps HP will fess up to their quality control issues and fix this?

If only that was all!

It seems that the same issue manifests itself under other circumstances. For instance, the Touchsmart was idling in screensaver mode while I was working on other computers in my network. You know, power on, updates, and the like on the other computers, when I noticed that this Touchsmart was showing the volume bar at 100%. This with no other input or contact of any kind! So, what happened here????

Clearly there is an issue with either the case design or software compatability. I wonder if any others out there experience the same issues as I've explained here.

Perhaps some of you can do a little troubleshooting and try some of these temporary workarounds as I've explained here and get back to this forum to explain your experiences.

Maybe together we can get HP's attention to recognize this problem.

Thanks for trying.

Top Student
gotalottaHP
Message 9 of 21 (3,882 Views)

duckeith wrote:

Hey, I was sent a new PC by HP and the new one worked normally as it should.... They took it back with no problem and let me keep the old till the new one arrived a few weeks later and I promptly got a refund after mailing the old one back.  Definitely call them, they were more than willing to help and took off 15% I believe on the new one...

hey duckeith, It's good that HP sent you a new system and all is working OK (hopefully is still ok). For me, this 610 is a replacement system they sent me to replace a defective model 600, and I really don't want to go through that arduous eight month process again!

Which brings me back to the problem at hand:

Is the only solution for this sound issue to have HP replace the unit? If so...forget it! Give me my money back!

C'mon HP. Give us a real answer... Why is this happening and what is the solution!

Intern
amish_u
Message 10 of 21 (3,863 Views)

hi all yes this is common issue we have found as tech to resolve issue plz try fer steps

click on start -  type  RECOVERY MANAGER  - click on recovery manager option - select software and drivers - look for osd driver in the list - select driver and click next  -  reinstall driver without uninstalling it...restart pc and chk if this resolves the issue...

I work for hp touchsmart and i can try my level best to help you out..
what ever i post that would be my persnol opinion not HP's.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation