Upgrading graphic card on the TouchSmart 300 (5797 Views)
Honor Student
Nekoni
Message 1 of 15 (5,797 Views)

Upgrading graphic card on the TouchSmart 300

Hey

I know teres was a similar question about this subject, but I was confused about the answer so im trying to get a simpler answer, sorry but I completly negated about computers so I hardly understand about them much

I have a HP TouchSmart 300-1120 and im trying to upgrade my graphic card, but I havent been able to find anyway of doing so.

If theres anyway of doing it or external parts that I need to do so please tell me, cause I have been searching over the web for days and havent been able to find any answer about it.

It would seem that the Touchsmarts are the only computers that you cant upgrade anything about.

Thank you, sorry I cant be more clear on my question but i dont know how else to put it

San

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 15 (5,793 Views)

Re: Upgrading graphic card on the TouchSmart 300

You can upgrade most of the items (memory, hard disk, DVD drive). The details are described in this HP manual. Upgrading the video for the TouchSmart PCs is about as difficult as doing the same in a notebook. You are stuck with what is listed as graphics options during ppurchase or with the integrated graphics chip. The motherboard does have two mini PCI Express slots.

Best regards,

erico 

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Grad Student
JiriT
Message 3 of 15 (5,792 Views)

Some models were structured with discrete graphics 594504-001 -  Porcupine BFR N10M GFG210 512M but you would need several more components replace/add like MXM thermal module and different LVDS cable.

JT
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
Nekoni
Message 4 of 15 (5,791 Views)

Im willing to send some money into it, but obiously not as much as would it could be, buying a new computer.

Wich items would you recomend that I purchase to upgrade the graphics card?

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 5 of 15 (5,786 Views)

In general the opinion is that it's just not worth upgrading the graphics cards in these units.

You will find tons of people asking, but what you don't find are any posts saying they have been successful.

Grad Student
JiriT
Message 6 of 15 (5,757 Views)

As I wrote MXM thermal module and different LVDS cable would be needed apart of graphics card. But replacing these components is not easy task and requires experienced technician and ESD environment. It shouldn't be done at home. Try authorized service to quote and you will see if it is worth it for you.
JT
I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Student
steve-
Message 7 of 15 (4,952 Views)

Re: Upgrading graphic card on the Outsmart 300

i am getting a green screen after a few minute on my videos. is there anything that can be done

Honor Student
pacevedo
Message 8 of 15 (3,493 Views)

actually ive upgraded my touchsmart 310 from a dual core to a quad core and doubled the ram and added an aftermarket cooler so if you know what your doing or are willing to risk it its possible but you can possibly destroy your rig

Honor Student
cheechako_99
Message 9 of 15 (2,245 Views)

[ Edited ]

"As I wrote MXM thermal module and different LVDS cable would be needed apart of graphics card. But replacing these components is not easy task and requires experienced technician and ESD environment."

why then does my touchsmart 300 have an MXM 3.0A expansion slot?

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 10 of 15 (2,238 Views)

[ Edited ]

cheechako_99,

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving the issue.

The above requested information can be found on the back or bottom of your computer. Please do not include your serial number.

HP uses a variety of motherboards in their computers. The motherboard in your computer may have a PCIe MXM graphics card slot, however due to the target demographics for that model HP may have chosen not install an MXM card in that model. As previously stated, without a factory installed card, your computer will have the incorrect heatsink/fan assembly for the addition of the MXM card. You would need to source a compatible MXM card, proper HSF/thermal assembly, and proper cabling to make it work. This can be expensive and difficult to do, and is still not guarantied to work.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation