Question

Honor Student
PJOP
Message 1 of 12 (6,269 Views)

Use the HP TouchSmart as a notebook monitor

Hi,

It is possible to connect a notebook to the HP TouchSmart 600 in order to use as a external monitor ? - a similar feature that is available on the new iMAC 27".

Thanks & regards

Paulo Peireira

Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 2 of 12 (6,260 Views)

Re: Use the HP TouchSmart as a notebook monitor

no. my best guess though would be ; unless your laptop has hdmi out and you some how capture to wmc tv via the hdmi in
HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 3 of 12 (6,257 Views)

so according to this review

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-27-inch/4505-3118_7-33783915.html

you need to buy some sort of dvi dongle to be able to have sencondary screen functions on the imac

HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 4 of 12 (6,255 Views)

hmm no blue ray - an honest review here http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Intel-27-Inch/1236/1 i'm sure soon blue ray will be incoporate to imac. spec wize it got everything else over anything touchsmart has though at a price though...
Honor Student
PJOP
Message 5 of 12 (6,253 Views)

As far I have read, unless I have a new macbook pro, it this need a DVI cabe with a kind of convert. There are some companies working on that.

My problem is simple I need to buy a new PC but at the same time I what to get rid of the cables that are necessary on the tower/monitor configuration. The ideia to buy a all-in-one is cool, but I need to use a external monitor for my laptop.

Cheers

Paulo Pereira

HP Pavillion (very old), HP Compaq NC6400, Toshiba NB100, HP All-in-one photosmart, KVM w/4 ports

Tutor
Diony5u5
Message 6 of 12 (5,775 Views)

Hi,

Has anybody managed to connect a digital output from laptop to the 600-1050UK to use as an extended screen? If so is the quality any good?

I have a Dell laptop with DisplayPort and running through and DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor. Although the screen works there are a number of problems

a) The screen, although set to 1920x1080 is too big and gets clipped (when window is maximized) )(HDMI Overscan?)

b) The text does not seem very clear - almost as though this is not quite the right resolution

c) The colors are very poor and I cannot change color settings to get a good picture.

I have tried the Laptop with same adaptor on some Dell monitors at work and they work just fine on their HDMI input showing very sharp screens with good color.

I used MonInfo tool to get the EDID from the machine and all the expected resolutions are shown, nothing stands out apart from the slightly odd Color Characteristics (default color space sRGB, chromacity is quite different to other monitors)

Overall spend quite a few hours trying to get to the bottom of this

- updating to latest intel drivers (4 series card)

- reading EDIDs and checking/customizing timing calculations (DTD)

- checking underscan values (1842x1036 seems to be largest size desktop that "fits in the viewable area")

Has anybody tried Laptop DVI=>HDMI?

From what I have read it should not make a difference but I am running out of ideas :mansad:

PS. I am not that impressed either by the HDMI in from the XBOX360 but I have nothing really to test the picture to the same level as text.

Honor Student
TWinder
Message 7 of 12 (5,349 Views)

Anyone else have any experiences they can share with using a Touchsmart as a monitor for your notebook?

Tutor
UnrealDreams
Message 8 of 12 (3,028 Views)

Was you able to get it to run right? I'm asking because my touchsmart 600-1120 MB is bad and I only had the PC for a year. So the HP told me to buy new touchsmart. So I want to use the screen on my touchsmart as a monitor on a new PC.
Associate Professor
frrw
Message 9 of 12 (3,025 Views)

Hello Unrealdreams:

You said your computer only beeps. Now your screen is working? Please fill me in. If your screen is working then we can diagnosed your computer and find out what is excactly wrong with it by holding down f-2 key and getting into bios and do the hard drive test. frrw  I belive your computer must  be running correctly to view whats on other computer. Because you still need to excess the control pannell to open up the other computer and versus. Set up the wizard on both computers and pass words. frrw

Tutor
UnrealDreams
Message 10 of 12 (3,023 Views)

No the motherboard is bad so of what I know of the screen is fine. So it's going to be around $300 for new motherboard, so if I can just hook it up to a new PC I can use the touchscreen
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation