Question

Honor Student
kraazylegs
Message 1 of 4 (803 Views)

Using 300-1120 all-in-one touchscreen as monitor for new desktop

I have an hp all-in-one model 300-1120 touchscreen  and just purchased a slimline desktop s5780 desktop. I was unaware that the slimline came with a dvi connection for monitor.  I would like to use my all-in-one touchscreen as a monitor for the slimline desktop.   I called HP and explained the issue. They recommended the HP usb Media Port Replicator and state that I could use this to connect to the all-ine-one touchscreen. 

I purchase the usb media port replicator and the instructions are horrible. It just says to connect the replicator and install the software. Nothing about which pc or how to configure.

I called HP an they said to install the software in the all-in-one and then I would be able to connect to the slimline desktop either  with a usb to usb connection.....usb to vga........ etc....

Will this work?......How do I configure the properties in the display.  

Also, If I just plug the slimline in by usb connection....will it automatically recogznize the all-ine-one as the monitor?

thanks.....

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 2 of 4 (797 Views)

Re: Using 300-1120 all-in-one touchscreen as monitor for new desktop

What you're trying to do will not work, the 300-1120 is not meant to be used in this way and does not have the capability of working as just a monitor to another PC

Honor Student
kraazylegs
Message 3 of 4 (795 Views)

I was told by two different representatives when I calle HP and they assured me it would work. Ijust have to get another cable before I can try it.

Would it work if I use a laptop? instead of the all-in one...

Basically I nee a way to hookup my new hp slimlinepc to a screen.  Will the media port replicator work this way?

I dont want to have to go out an buy another monitor.....

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 4 of 4 (778 Views)

Neither the Touchsmart computer nor a laptop will function this way, they are not designed to act as plain old monitors.

Unless you're explaining something different to the HP reps I'm stunned they say it's possible.

Plain and simple, you need to buy a monitor.

caveat, there are some pieces of software that will let you share desktops across PCs with one acting as an extended desktop of the first PC, but these are anything but common or easy, and you need to start with a monitor on the PC at least once.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation