Warning about wireless keyboard batteries for HP Touchsmart IQ504 and iQ506 (12057 Views)
Intern
lizard
Message 1 of 28 (12,057 Views)

Warning about wireless keyboard batteries for HP Touchsmart IQ504 and iQ506

I wanted to post this information in hopes others will not have to go thru what I just did.  HP wireless keyboards will not work properly with AAA Duracell batteries.

We have both an IQ504 & IQ506 and they are both a year old.  The keyboard began omitting letters when typing, so I decided to change the batteries in the IQ504 wireless keyboard.

I pulled out both the old AAA Energizer batteries and popped in 2 new Duracell AAA batteries.  Spent about an hour trying to reconnect the wireless keyboard to the wireless receiver on the computer.  No way could I get the two to pair.  Got out the manual and everything, I ran thru the steps over and over, restarted the computer over and over and pulled he USB wireless receiver out of the computer, over and over.

I ended up taking the whole unit, keyboard, mouse and power supply to Best Buy as I had an extended warranty.  The Geek Squad guy spent another 1/2 hours trying all of this over and over.  Left it there for Best Buy to order a new keyboard.

The next morning, the wireless keyboard on the IQ506 began omitting letters, so I took out the Energizer batteries and popped in Duracells.  Guess what, repeat of previous day.  Now I have 2 Touchsmart computers without functioning keyboards. 

Finally, in desperation, I dug the old Energizer batteries of of the trash, put them back in and poof, the keyboard connects instantly.  So a quick trip to the store for new Energizers, good to go, instant connection.

Drove over to Best Buy, handed him 2 Energizers, problem solved.

HP wireless keyboards will not work properly with AAA Duracell batteries.  You've been warned ! 

What was I thinking when I bought an HP ?
Oh yea, I wasn't !

IQ504 & IQ506
Tutor
CandyKB
Message 2 of 28 (12,003 Views)

Re: Warning about wireless keyboard batteries for HP Touchsmart IQ504 and iQ506

Have you ever had this problem with the mouse? I use Duracell batteries in my mouse and they work fine. So far, I have not had to replace the keyboard batteries, but thanks for the heads up. I guess I need to keep some Energizer batteries on hand, just in case. Seems strange that Duracell would work in the mouse and not in the keyboard, though.
Intern
lizard
Message 3 of 28 (11,999 Views)

Both of my mice work just fine with Duracell batteries, only my keyboards seem to dislike them.
Oh yea, I wasn't !

IQ504 & IQ506
Intern
WWK888
Message 4 of 28 (11,873 Views)

Just came across this thread and yes the same thing happened to me.  However after playing with the duracell batteries I finally got it to work.  I determined that one side was very sensative with the connection.
Intern
lizard
Message 5 of 28 (11,867 Views)

Since I had exactly the same issue in 2 different keyboards, I have to believe it's some kind of HP equipment issue.

But very odd indeed.

Oh yea, I wasn't !

IQ504 & IQ506
Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 6 of 28 (11,619 Views)

that is incredible , i just replaced mine with duracell and keyboard is dead.  need to buy energizers. should contact duracell, they might get upset as it might be anti competative..
HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 7 of 28 (11,639 Views)

actually, i had another look around in my study for batteries and found 4 x duracell ultra batteries.  so i tried them and found there are 4 batteries when i only replaced 3 in th ekeyboard initially ( I didn't notice there were 4 batteries in the keyboard), anyway i replaced all 4 of them with duracell ultra and looks like they work...
HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 8 of 28 (11,395 Views)

lizard wrote:

I wanted to post this information in hopes others will not have to go thru what I just did.  HP wireless keyboards will not work properly with AAA Duracell batteries.

I pulled out both the old AAA Energizer batteries and popped in 2 new Duracell AAA batteries.  Spent about an hour trying to reconnect the wireless keyboard to the wireless receiver on the computer. ......

Drove over to Best Buy, handed him 2 Energizers, problem solved.

HP wireless keyboards will not work properly with AAA Duracell batteries.  You've been warned ! 

LOL - there are 4 batteries not 2 batterys - I initially only replaced 3 because I only had 3 new duracell batteries at the time, later i found 4 duracell ultra battereis and replaced them all - keyboard worked fine.

Intern
lizard
Message 9 of 28 (11,322 Views)

Both my keyboards are Model RK713A.

Only 2 batteries in each, info panel on keyboard confirms "3V"

HP probably realized their crappy engineering and added 2 additional batteries in newer model keyboards.

Oh yea, I wasn't !

IQ504 & IQ506
Master's Graduate
JimT
Message 10 of 28 (11,317 Views)

i have the same model kb and have 4 batteries.:smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation