Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does the Factory image update with Windows upgrades? That is, I purchased this computer (Compaq Presario SR5507F) with Vista but upgraded to Win7. Would a recovery send me back to Vista so that I have to do the reload of Win7?

HP Recommended

Hi Douglas4517,

I saw your post regarding the upgrading of the Factory_Image. Unfortunately, it doesn't upgrade as you go. If you do a restore now, it is going back to Windows Vista. I would suggest trying to create a recovery CD. You can however create a System Image that you can use to restore the computer in case of an issue. I have included a link on how to do that.

Creating and Using a System Image to Restore Your Computer Windows 7:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02053303

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you. The answer was disappointing but not unexpected. If I could, I would ask another question, this one on backup/recover strategies:

Is it possible to create a system image on , say, a 64G flash drive? And, if so, could that be a simpler way to recover a crashed system after replacing the hard drive? My thinking is this:

1. Boot from flash drive

2. Format new HD

3. Restore system from flash drive

Would this work? Or am I stuck with multiple DVD's or Blu-rays as my only option?

HP Recommended

Hi Douglas4517,

Yes, you can save a system image to a USB. I have included a link that mentions you can save it to a USB and give a good tutorial for setting up the system image including pictures.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I would like to click on the Accept as solution" button but it does not appear to exist on your message. Once again, thanks for the information and help.

HP Recommended

the subject is the question. what is the "factory image drive"?

HP Recommended

It strikes me as odd that HP chooses to create a system image on a drive partition on the only hard drive in a machine. Since a disaster needing a system image restoral is most likely to be a hard drive failure, that system image would not likely be available. Sounds like false security to me. But, then, I have had system failures before, only one of which was not caused by a hard drive failure (that one was caused by a power supply failure... more likely by the power regulation system) on an HP laptop.

HP Recommended

My hp was purchased four year ago and has started crashing this week for the first time.

My c drive is almost empty while my factory image is almost full.  Do I put stuff on the D?

Don't know if I should shop for a new computer or if this one will hold out a while longer.

HP Recommended

Lil_Lisa27 thanks for great directions... however no matter what I do I cannot get past the HP Recovery Partition Warning that I should not delete or alter any files.  I changed to show hidden folders and files, but nothing seems to let me in to see any folders in my 😧 Recovery drive.

I also tried to find out how to change where my Norton (which I'm really no longer using anyway ) is saving files, but could not find how to change that either.  Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
MJR_Whynot

HP Recommended

@BHK6 wrote:

Hi Douglas4517,

I saw your post regarding the upgrading of the Factory_Image. Unfortunately, it doesn't upgrade as you go. If you do a restore now, it is going back to Windows Vista. I would suggest trying to create a recovery CD. You can however create a System Image that you can use to restore the computer in case of an issue. I have included a link on how to do that.

So if my System Restores aren't backed up into the 😧 drive, doesn't that mean I can delete it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.