Question

Honor Student
danhp610
Message 1 of 6 (5,143 Views)

WiFI Problem - HP Touchsmart 610-1150f

Hi there,

I just purchased a brand new HP Touchsmart 610-1150f. The computer is pretty amazing, but I'm having problems with the WIFI connection.

I have a wireless AT&T DSL router, and it works great with my iPhone, iPad and WII console (which is in the living room). But with the Touchsmart (which is right beside the DSL router in my home office), every five minutes or so when I'm using the Internet, the connection drops and comes back again.

I mean, the WIFI connection works great but gets interrupted quite often with the TouchSmart. Because this only happens with the TouchSmart, I'm assuming it's a computer related problem.

I'm about to return the computer because of this. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Honor Student
davetrouser
Message 2 of 6 (5,126 Views)

Re: WiFI Problem - HP Touchsmart 610-1150f

This can happen if there is more than one network location stored for the same setup (not sure why it happens, but it can on Vista and Windows 7). I've seen it happen on my wife's laptop and it caused the exact behaviour you describe because it can't decide which network name to pick, so it alternates between them, causing a temporary drop in the connection.

Go to Network and Sharing Center (by clicking on the wireless network icon in the system tray).

In the resulting window, you should see a basic network diagram at the top of the page. Below that under "View your active networks", you should see a house icon with "home network" next to it - click that.

Now in the window that opens after that, note the name of the network at the top and click on "merge or delete network locations".

This opens yet another window, with a list of recognised network names. Typically, there should only be one unless you move the PC about to other networks (like a laptop). What you are looking for is duplicates - so if the network name from the previous window is "Network", you shouldn't have any duplicates or copies with numbers after them ("Network 2"), just one entry called "Network" or whatever yours is called.

If there are duplicates, you should delete them. You can even safely delete them all - Windows will just ask you to redefine the network as "Home", "Work" or "Public" - to which you should respond "Home".

Hopefully that might help.

Honor Student
danhp610
Message 3 of 6 (5,106 Views)

Thank you for your answer. I tried what you suggested but there weren't any duplicates. In the network window, there was only one network location, the one I use. As a result, the Merge or Delete Network Locations button was grayed out.

I'm on a dead end. I spent almost one hour with HP's tech support guy, and he couldn't figure out the problem. I called AT&T and since the problem was only related to this computer - every other wireless device in my home works without any connection drop - all they could do was change the frequency in the DSL modem. That didn't work either.

PhD Student
dianebrat
Message 4 of 6 (5,102 Views)

Occasionally you can wind up with a device and access point that just will not communicate.

dumb question, if the DSL modem/router is right next to the Touchsmart, why not just use a network cable?

I prefer wired for devices that are staionary due to the higher speed connection.

Honor Student
davetrouser
Message 5 of 6 (5,089 Views)

dianebrat wrote:

Occasionally you can wind up with a device and access point that just will not communicate.

dumb question, if the DSL modem/router is right next to the Touchsmart, why not just use a network cable?

I prefer wired for devices that are staionary due to the higher speed connection.

That's true - the first generation Airport Express has trouble with older Netgear routers, in that it drops the connection when the session key changes. Might be something similar.

Good idea about the wired connection - don't know why I didn't suggest that :-) No need for wireless when it's right next to the router!

Honor Student
danhp610
Message 6 of 6 (5,074 Views)

Spot on! For some reason, my AT&T 2Wire modem wasn't communicating properly with the TouchSmart. I just couldn't simply think about that in the beginning because I've never had any similar problem with all devices connected to it - my iPhone, my wife's, my previous HP computer, an iPad and the WII console. Using the network cable directly wasn't solving the problem either.

Many people believe it's a Windows 7 problem. If you type "Windows 7 drops wifi connection" on Google, you'll see several forum responses with people experiencing the exact same problem I had. It makes sense because with my previous HP, which has Windows XP, I never had that problem.

Anyway, I bought a Motorola 2274-N8 wireless modem, which is actually less expensive than the AT&T 2Wire, and the connection is working beautifully now! Not a single drop since I installed it!

One additional question - One of the reasons I bought the TouchSmart is because I don't have to deal with a gazillion cables and wires. Does it make a substantial difference if I connect the modem with the yellow cable? I mean, I'm using the modem in wireless mode and the connection is already super fast and flawless.

Thank you all for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation