Question

Honor Student
EBeeks
Message 1 of 8 (8,303 Views)

Windows 8 product Key Envy 23

Where is the Windows 8 Activation COA located on these systems?  Searched all sides and their is no sticker on mine.

Thanks

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 8 (8,297 Views)

Re: Windows 8 product Key Envy 23

Hi,

For new machines coming with Windows 8, the key is now stored in the Bios chip.  See the article below for more details on this new activation method.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/14217-windows-8-moves-bios-based-product-keys-3.html

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 8 (8,295 Views)

Hi:

With the advent of Windows Activation 3.0, all Windows PC's now have the product key embedded in the BIOS, making the COA sticker obsolete. This is true for all PC manufacturers, not just HP.

This was done to further reduce instances of piracy and illegal use of the visible product keys.

The downside is that for those of us who use the product keys legally, we are now forced to use the recovery disks that came with the PC, or that we make, or use the recovery partition to reinstall the OS.

If they fail to work, we then will need to purchase an operating system, as a plain W8 disk will not work anymore, since there is no product key to enter when prompted.

Paul

Honor Student
EBeeks
Message 4 of 8 (8,290 Views)

[ Edited ]

That answers that question, but opens a new one for me.  Probably not for this thread any more.

I tried to add Media Center to Windows 8 and now it says that it is not activated.  They key I received from Microsoft says it is for upgrades only and no clean installs.  I tried uninstalling MEdia Center to get back to an activated copy, but it has forgotten the original key.

Anyone got a quick idea for that or should I open a new thread?

-Eric

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 8 (8,279 Views)

Hi:

I would start a new thread.

I doubt anyone can help you, but you have nothing to lose.

Me?  I would bite the bullet and do a system recovery to factory specs.

You will lose MS Office Starter though.

Paul

Honor Student
EBeeks
Message 6 of 8 (8,269 Views)

Any way to extract the key out of the BIOS?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 8 (8,267 Views)

None that I know of.

Honor Student
Damngoodiam
Message 8 of 8 (7,860 Views)

You will not find in stickers now,bcoz many laptops don't have those. Your windows 8 product will be incrypted in your registry if you have used that before and you can find that bu this simple method to find lost windows 8 product key.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation