Question

Student
askmeinspanish
Message 1 of 5 (13,514 Views)

how to turn my screen off without shutting down computer

how to turn my screen off without shutting down computer, I tried the power button but it shuts computer off. I want to listen to a radio program using real player, but the screen stays on. I keep this station on all night so having the screen on it's not working out, since we are keeping it on while we sleep

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (13,502 Views)

Re: how to turn my screen off without shutting down computer

Hi:

You can change your power settings to turn the monitor off at a given time, yet leave the PC running.

Please see this link below.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9090/learning-windows-7-manage-power-settings/

Paul

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 3 of 5 (13,502 Views)

Hello askeiminspanish:

You can not turn off your screen. How ever you can dim the screen down by using f-10 and f-11 on touchsmart keyboard dimmimg keys.You can also change it in control panel open control panel select power option Click on chang power settings (Blue writing) Now slide your bar up or down. Located at bottom.  I would also enlarge replayer screen the black screen will even make it darker as well. Do not drape such as towel over the computer it will over heat. You can cut a piece of cardboard just the size of glass part of screen and tape it to side not at bottom or top that would block air flow.

Teacher
PC55
Message 4 of 5 (13,497 Views)

Thanks for contacting the HP Forum. I think there's a very simple solution to your dilemma that will allow you to keep the music coming all night (or for a designated length of time) and not have the display on. 1. Click on the "Start" button and select "Control Panel" from the list on the right 2. Chosse "Category" in the View by: (upper right of screen) 3. Click on "System and Security" and then on "Power Options" 4. From the column on the left select "Choose when to turn off the display" 5. Make the selections you need from the drop-down menus 6. If you don't want the PC to go into Sleep mode make sure you select "Never" 7. Click on "Save changes" and you're ready for a relaxing night of music without display Simply swipe the screen, press the "Esc" key on your wireless keypad, or move your wireless mouse to bring the display back on. Hope this helps. Thanks for being an HP customer!
My response is my own and not HP's.
If this solves your issue please mark "Accept as Solution."
Click on the white Kudos star to show your appreciation.

Student
stagepirate
Message 5 of 5 (1,378 Views)

If you go into your media player like Windows Media Player, right click and open up the drop down. Click on the "More Options" selection, it's second from the bottom. In the player tab there will be two boxes and in the second is Player Settings and there are a bunch of options with check boxes next to them. Second one is "Allow screensaver during playback" and if you check it, your display will shut off if you have your screensaver set to blank.

Combine that with the turn display off option in power settings on your computer and you will have tunes and no screen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation