Question

Top Student
joe4ski
Message 1 of 17 (4,168 Views)

iTunes download

Why can't I get iTunes to download onto my 64bit HP 310 TouchSmart with Windows 7?

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 17 (4,157 Views)

Re: iTunes download

Hi joe4ski,

What do you mean you can't get it to download? Do you get errors? How are you trying to download it?

Try downloading the file from here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Let us know what happens.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
joe4ski
Message 3 of 17 (4,155 Views)

Ihave tried that and tried going through File Hippo to install the 64bit version but got the SAME result – all icons turned to iTunes musical notes and pointing to any opened iTunes.

I uninstalled ALL Apple software products and restarted with same result – all icons retuned to their original functionality.

I finally just gave up but will try again today to see if a 'error' message appears! 

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 4 of 17 (4,151 Views)

That sure is odd. I have a TouchSmart 610 (slightly bigger version of same PC as yours) and I installed iTunes 64bit on it just last week with no issues.

One thing you may try when installing is when iTunes asks about associating file types to iTunes, don't select any file types. Maybe the installer is confusing your icons as images or some other file type?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
joe4ski
Message 5 of 17 (4,150 Views)

I too had a 610 and it worked with no issue however the 310 is a problem  I've also done as suggested below: unchecked the options for iTunes to make a short cut on the desktop and asked not open automatically.  STILL SAME PROBLEM.

I have NOT uninstalled yet as thought you maigh want me to explore this currect situation. 

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 6 of 17 (4,146 Views)

Do all icons on your desktop have this problem, or are there some that don't get changed?

When you right-click on the icons and look at their properties, what does it say on the "Shortcut" tab? Are the targets all set to the same file? Do they list the location as "itunes"? If you click on the "Previous Versions" tab, do you have any options to roll back to a previous version?

Top Student
joe4ski
Message 7 of 17 (4,145 Views)

All icons change with the single exception of the RECYCLE BIN this inclued those in the "Start" pop-up as well as desktop shortcuts.

Have not tried to right-click on the icons to look at their properties however when I left click it will ALWAYS open iTunes i.e. cannot open any other program/software. 

Unfortunately I've already uninstalled iTunes in order to restore icons at this point in our conversation. In previous efforts 've uninstalled all Apples software before reinstalling iTunes but the result is always the same.

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 8 of 17 (4,138 Views)

Here is somethings to try...before installing iTunes, do the following:

Right-click your desktop and select "Personalize".

Select "Change desktop icons" (in the upper left of the screen).

Remove the check next to "Allow themes to change desktop icons" if it is there.

Now install iTunes and see if the same thing happens.

If the icons change again, go back into the same "Change desktop icons" screen and select your icons and then click the "Restore Defaults" button.

I think this might work. Let us know how it goes.

Top Student
joe4ski
Message 9 of 17 (4,135 Views)

I really thought you had something but it did NOT work.  All icons are the iTunes musical note again.

FYI when I right click on any icon the 'name' of the original program will show in the properties but it still directs to iTunes only!

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 10 of 17 (4,117 Views)

Hmmmm....this is very puzzling. If you change the destination of the shortcuts in the Properties by manually entering the destination of the program file for that shortcut, does it stay and actually work?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation