Question

Honor Student
Wot4
Message 1 of 6 (1,185 Views)

my touchsmart 600 shuts down without warning

My Touchsmart 600-1140UK -  WC758AA-ABU shuts down without warning.  It generally needs disconnection from the mains before it will switch back on. It is running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 2 of 6 (1,179 Views)

Re: my touchsmart 600 shuts down without warning

Hello Wot4:

Welcome to HP's forum. Here is your link for your computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01896793&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&la...  Jump down to: see Resolving Problems with Sleep Mode and Hibernate (Windows 7)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01853693&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=4119350 Now jump down to bottom section and make your adjustments for Sleep mode, Screen Saver settings. Some times we need to go the opposite direction to find the right path to fix issues. Especially when the solution is not listed or the problem it's  self. Maybe this will correct your shut down issue. Please let us know if it does or does not work. Thank you frrw.

Top Student
BrianJC
Message 3 of 6 (1,142 Views)

Another thing you might want to research is the shutdown issues plaguing the 300 series. Those relate mostly to overheating and/or power supply issues. On the 300 unit I'm working on, I am trying to determine if the power supply is faulty.

The most successful workaround I have found is to run with the panel off that covers the hard drive & DVD. I suspect that the heat built up from the drive and the power supply is tripping the heat sensor and the system is doing exactly as designed, shutting down to prevent damage. I believe the requirement of pulling the power cord to reset the power supply is an additional failsafe.

Student
hulalu
Message 4 of 6 (1,091 Views)

Along with my touchsmart 600 shutting down by it self I can't use facebook with internet explorer closing or telling me there is an error. Is it my computer or is it int exp or something else. I seem to do better with firefox.

Tutor
waded
Message 5 of 6 (1,040 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Wot4,

I experienced both of the symptoms you're describing with a TouchSmart 600-1005xt model. (1: shuts down without warning, 2: needs to be disconnected from the mains, by which I assume you mean disconnect the plug on the wall side of the 'brick' instead of the computer side, before it will turn on again.)

In my case the issue was certainly that the external power supply (aka AC adapter) had failed somehow.

After some runaround with HP warranty support (shipping my computer in twice, both times misdiagnosed, and once the video card replaced, yet the problem recurred within hours after I got the computer back), I convinced them to ship me a new external power supply. With the new AC adapter the problem has not occured to date (almost 2 years.)

The model number of the AC adapter I received was the same as the one that failed, so I suppose it is possible it will fail again, although this one has now worked for twice as long as the original.

Wade

Honor Student
Wot4
Message 6 of 6 (1,021 Views)

Hi Wade,

Many thanks for this which is og great help. I suspected that it was something like this.

It settled down for several weeks, then on a hot day, it did it again 3 times, then became OK again.

I shall see how long i can get away without it becoming a nuisance. and then replace the transformer brick.

Regards Alan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation