Question

Honor Student
tom_m
Message 1 of 6 (543 Views)

trying to use recovery disks with external USB DVD drive with IQ700, getting Error 1012

Using Recovery from hard drive fails for obscure Microsoft reasons.

So I try recovery DVDs with the external USB DVD drive and it fails with error 1012.

None of the official support info seems to help.

I can't upgrade the firmware in the internal DVD drive because

the internal dvd is unplugged, this may be part of the problem, does that invalidate the recovery DVD's?

Does the Build ID change if the internal DVD drive is unlugged?

All clues are welcome to try to salvage this IQ700

regards Tom M.

Intern
saibal_dg
Message 2 of 6 (538 Views)

Re: trying to use recovery disks with external USB DVD drive with IQ700, getting Error 1012

May be the hard drive has been corrupted. Pls run the hard drive test in BIOS.

Intern
saibal_dg
Message 3 of 6 (537 Views)

Re: trying to use recovery disks with external USB DVD drive with IQ700, getting Error 1012

There is no relation between the build ID and the CD/DVD drive. There is a possibility that the disk has been corrupted.

Honor Student
tom_m
Message 4 of 6 (518 Views)

I have run diagnostics on the hard drive - there are no failures.

Again to go over my problem -

Restore to out of the box condition from the hard drive fails

All seems to go well until starting windows for the first time has a page fault,

the page fault screen goes away before I can read it, the computer reboots in Startup Repair

Startup Repair informs me Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.

No error codes found in the Diagnosis and repair details the  root cause found is Failure while setup is in progress.

So I use the restoration DVDs and get error 1012.

Reading up on official HP advice related to error I get advice to firmware upgrade the internal CD/DVD drive, which failed some time ago.

There is also information about Build ID numbers. The build ID number  is 71NAv3XrA3 on the label and the same one reported by BIOS setup.

If replacing the internal CD/DVD rom would make the restore processes work better that would be a useful piece of information.

As it stands I have a computer that passes all dignostics, except has a bad internal DVD, that will not accept any of the Restore methods I thought I could count on working.:smileysad:

Regards Tom M.

Honor Student
tom_m
Message 5 of 6 (504 Views)

I got some advice to install windows System 7 and give up on the restore process.

Is this a possible solution?

regards Tom M.

Intern
saibal_dg
Message 6 of 6 (483 Views)

If your are trying to use retaill OS disk then you might face driver issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation