Question

Honor Student
tink333
Message 1 of 7 (921 Views)

Black Ink smearing

Hi, I have an Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless, and I have the exact same problem as many, many other users who have written in about their printers (whether or not the same model).  

I have worked with HP Tech Support via both chat and phone, and we did all sorts of cleaning processes, but the black ink continues to smear (even after the photos are 30 days old), and also on brochure and invitation paper.  While I realize everyone wants us to use HP paper, it is not always available in the size and type we want for our print jobs.  It is not at all acceptable that HP mandates use of their paper.  Frankly, the Kodak paper I use is superior, and about 2x the cost of comparable HP paper.  Black ink did NOT smear with my older HP Photosmart all-in-one, so WHY does it smear with the new Officejet?  (BTW, I was talked into trading up by one of the tech support genies last October).

Has anyone addressed the question as to whether or not there is a problem with the black ink itself? I cannot be possible that all of us have the same problem and that the ink has not been suspect.  The HP chat tech with whom I spoke did not answer the question when I posed it to him.

Am waiting for a manager to call me back - and I really don't want a refurbished printer to replace the one that is only 4 months old. Not really fair, is it?

-Tink

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 7 (870 Views)

Re: Black Ink smearing

Hello Tink333,

The problem that is happening most likely is indeed a wrong choice of paper. While Kodak surely is an A grade paper, i might not be compatable with your printer. Its most likely a high grade photo paper suited for dye based inks which photoprinters use (best inks for pictures) . The unit you are currently having is using pigment based inkt (better for documents) which is meant as a document printer but can also print pictures if the paper is suitable for pigment based inkt. That is why most likely most tech support will advice HP paper, because of the simple fact that they now which HP paper is suited for that ink. If you want to use kodak paper that is fine off course but then i would suggest contacting kodak to find out which of their papers is suited for pigment based inkts. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

DPE Student
Student
DPE
Message 3 of 7 (658 Views)

Did anybody ever figure out what caused the black ink to smear ?

I'm using a HP8500 as well, HP ink and HP Advanced photo paper.

Thanks for any help

Perry

Intern
thanhhuy456
Message 4 of 7 (401 Views)

Any HP Photo type will work with pigment ink? (HP Photo, HP Pre Photo, HP Pre Plus Photo, HP Advanced Photo)
Intern
thanhhuy456
Message 5 of 7 (401 Views)

Is there any "stuff" for us to recognize if a photo paper will work with pigment ink? (sign, icon, iso std, etc.)??? I suppose that obviously anti-HP companies (Kodad, Epson, Canon, etc...) will not say that their photo paper works with HP pigment ink!! All they just say is that "compatibles with other inkjet..."
Intern
thanhhuy456
Message 6 of 7 (359 Views)

Please, someone reply??!!
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 7 of 7 (336 Views)

thanhhuy456 wrote:
Any HP Photo type will work with pigment ink? (HP Photo, HP Pre Photo, HP Pre Plus Photo, HP Advanced Photo)

For details on the recommended photo paper, just search for whichever printer you're interested in. For example, the PS 7520  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=ie&lc=en&docname=c03369370

Also see below for the Paper buying guide

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/buying_guides/how_select_paper.html

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation