Bug: Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly message after every boot (11257 Views)
Top Student
Joey7
Message 1 of 5 (11,257 Views)

Bug: Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly message after every boot

It appears HP Smart Web Printing 4.51 has a bug. After installing it on Vista Ultimate 64-bit Internet Explorer 8 (32-bit version), everytime I shutdown then start up the computer and open up Internet Explorer 8, I get the message:  "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly. Restore your last session or Go to your home page". And this happens after I close down Internet Explorer 8 normally. This never happened before.

I did a test: closed down Internet Explorer 8 normally, uninstalled  HP Smart Web Printing 4.51, and rebooted my computer. The  "Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly" message did not appear anymore. Definitely a bug.

Intern
RotorMarc
Message 2 of 5 (10,789 Views)

Re: Bug: Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly message after every boot

I would have to agree. I haven't yet looked at removing the process after booting and prior to opening IE8 for the initial time, however I have a desktop and my DV7 laptop, and removing the program like you had cured the message. I would be suprised if more people are not having this issue.
Student
tackdriver
Message 3 of 5 (10,615 Views)

Re: Bug: Your last browsing session closed unexpectedly message after every boot

After reading your posts I removed the "bug" source and have had no issues since.

Thanks for your posts.

I have had a lot of issues with HP software since I purchased my J6480 All-in
One and have begun to wonder about the quality inspection process of the software.

Student
ilovekeywest
Message 4 of 5 (10,514 Views)

Whle Smart Web Printing could be the source, I don't believe it is the sole cause. We have 2 Vista and 1 XP desktops networked. SWP is installed on only one but that produces this error message on all 3.

Our Photosmart printer is connected via a printserver but I know that the XP machine has never used it and to the best of my knowledge has never had any HP software installed.

My suspicion is that it is a Microsoft update bug possibly removed (coincidentally) by uninstalling SWP. But I am nowhere near expert enough to trust my suspicions - just cynical.

While it is annoying to be accused of not closing down properly, were the message just to say "Do you want to restore your last browsing session", most of us would probably appreciate it!

Intern
RotorMarc
Message 5 of 5 (10,503 Views)

I'm sure that there can be other causes to this with IE, and if you are not running HP software on your XP then it is not related, however it is the cause for us running smart web printing on our particular machines.

I have four: two deesktops, two laptops, running from XP sp3 to win 7 RTM - all running ie8, all started the same issue after install of SWP latest version, note latest version. and all stop after that process is either prevented from running on startup, or the program is removed. Enough proof for me considering the history of this company's SW packages.

If I dont find another solution I plan on disabling the notification thru a registry edit. It's annoying more than helpful to receive it every single time you open for an initial session, plain and simple, and a result of bad coding.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation