Question

Honor Student
Yaro
Message 1 of 12 (6,774 Views)
Accepted Solution

D7360 won't print in "Black Only", unless color cartridges are also non-empty

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to print a document in grayscale mode using D7360 Photosmart printer.

In the printing setup dialog am explicitly checking the option to use "Black Print Cartridge Only".

The printer refuses to print, saying:

"The following ink cartridges are empty: Light Cyan. Replace these ink cartridges to resume printing."

"The printer does not have enough ink to ensure printer's health. The empty ink cartridges must be replaced to resume."

Does this mean that even though it is not using the color cartridges, all of them have to be non-empty when the printer is operating?

Intern
Zacabeb
Message 2 of 12 (6,754 Views)

Re: D7360 won't print in "Black Only", unless color cartridges are also non-empty

From what I've understood, printers with individual ink cartridges refuse to print if one cartridge is empty, in order not to damage the corresponding printhead.

I presume this might be because the wiping and cleaning procedure is integrated for all printheads with the cleaning wipers in the same assembly, meaning a printhead with an empty cartridge cannot be left out of the loop. The cleaning station will still run its wipers across all printheads, potentially pulling out what ink is left in the prefire chambers and letting in air to dry out the traces of ink left, clogging the printhead. That's just my theory, so don't take it for gospel. :smileyhappy:

If the printheads have empty prefire chambers and attempt to fire air, the nozzles may also overheat and burn out as there is no ink to absorb the heat. But as the color printhead could be disabled if the printer senses it's low on ink, I don't think that is the only reason for refusing to print. Maybe releasing the printhead from the service station is enough a risk of making the remaining ink in the prefire chambers dry out.

Some printers with integrated printheads in the cartridges on the other hand may allow printing in black only if the color cartridge is removed and the printer's protesting is overridden (and as the printhead is disposed of along with the empty cartridge, it doesn't need be kept alive anyway).

Honor Student
Yaro
Message 3 of 12 (6,749 Views)

Re: D7360 won't print in "Black Only", unless color cartridges are also non-empty

Thanks Zacabeb!
I still hope to get some feedback from HP support, but otherwise your theory is seems very logical! ;-)

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 12 (6,738 Views)

Yaro wrote:

Thanks Zacabeb!
I still hope to get some feedback from HP support, but otherwise your theory is seems very logical! ;-)

This is a peer to peer support forum rather than a connection to HP support so it is unlikely there will be any response from HP support.  There are some HP folks in the forum but they are generally here on thier own time and speaking only for themselves, not for HP.

That said, what Zacabeb says is correct.  When printing in black ink only the printhead would be waving around in the air and would dry our if there were no ink to provide for servicing.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Yaro
Message 5 of 12 (6,717 Views)

Bob[_Headrick], thanks a lot for both clarifications! Your help much appreciated!! ;-) 

Student
RMilne
Message 6 of 12 (6,592 Views)

Was the issue ever resolved?  And did you receive a reply from HP?  I have a D7630 and NEVER use the color, and would rather disable the color option to print in black and white only over having to buy a new black and white printer.  Can the color be disabled?  Or do we have to buy color cartridges (that we never use) in order to use this printer?  Any information you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thank you.

Honor Student
Yaro
Message 7 of 12 (6,590 Views)

The issue was resolved by buying new color cartidge. =) And I did not write to HP support (if they have any for such issues).

I did not find a direct possibility to disable color in the printer.. but maybe if you can take out the printing heads, this may allow you to print without color cartidges... Good luck in your investigations!

Honor Student
avidsurfer
Message 8 of 12 (5,680 Views)

I think I solved the problem for my PC. I put in a new black cartridge but my color cartridge is empty. My printouts started looking awful and were trying to print in blue. I went to the printer area of the control panel and requested grey scale only. Suddenly my printouts look great, as they did before. I'm running Vista on a Compaq with an HP deskjet D1560 printer.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 12 (5,677 Views)

avidsurfer wrote:

I think I solved the problem for my PC. I put in a new black cartridge but my color cartridge is empty. My printouts started looking awful and were trying to print in blue. I went to the printer area of the control panel and requested grey scale only. Suddenly my printouts look great, as they did before. I'm running Vista on a Compaq with an HP deskjet D1560 printer.

The D1560 is an entirely different design.  It uses printheads that are built in to the ink supply cartridge and will happily print with one or more colors or black empty. Since the printheads are replaced with each new cartridge there is not a risk of damaging the expensive permanent or semi-permanent printheads.

For this printer you can remove the color cartridge and print with black only, or remove the color cartridge and the printer will mix the colors to make black when needed.  Removing one of the cartridges will force the printer to print in "reserve mode" or "ink backup mode".

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
avidsurfer
Message 10 of 12 (5,673 Views)

My printer did not function as you suggested until I changed the printer properties in the control panel. Spent 1 hour and 15 minutes with HP tech support last night to no avail. Conversation ended with the conclusion that I should buy a color cartridge. Glad I tried the control panel this morning.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation