Question

Student
ancientbrit
Message 1 of 2 (1,766 Views)

DESKJET 1280 A3 PRINTER

After 3 years my Deskjet 1280 hassuddenly started to randomly stop printing part way down a page, and all 3 lights flash rapidly.   It might be associated with wide margins & photos with no edges or it might be due to dense text and pictures.  Sometimes it will print OK in draft but not in normal.  l have tried all manner of tests but can't find or cure the problem.  This happened with my XP laptop and now with my Windows 7 laptop (with Deskjet 1220 driver).  The problem seems to have got progressively worse.  Help appreciated.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 2 (1,749 Views)

Re: DESKJET 1280 A3 PRINTER

I would suggest you first try the steps in this page.  If the carriage moves to the "happy" position the most likely cause is an encoder strip that has become fogged with aerosol.  You can clean the encoder strip as shown in this page.  Be sure to heed the warnings, the strip is fragile and can be damaged with rough handling.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation