HP LaserJet 5000 support in Windows 7 64-bit (20920 Views)
Honor Student
ELROSAS
Message 1 of 9 (20,920 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LaserJet 5000 support in Windows 7 64-bit

I recently purchased a Dell Laptop that has MS Windows 7 64-bit OS and I  have an old Dell Desktop 4400 w/Windows XP I have a HP Laserjet 5000 printer connected to the LPT1 Port.  I have the printer shared and I can connect to it with my other laptop that has the MS Vista OS.  I can not get my Laptop that has Windows 7 to connect to it and I have tried everything that I can think of. I logged on to my Laptop with Windows 7 and downloaded the latest driver from the HP Web Site.  The drivers for the LJ5000 are called Universal Drivers.  The drivers are installed on my W7 System and then I go to the Start/Devices and Printers and "Add a Printer" option.  I select the "look in the network option" and Windows looks for the Shared Prnter and finds it.  I select the printer and it starts looking for the driver.  I think it looking on the computer where the printer is connect to anyway, it cannot find the driver.  I get a dialog box that says it can not find and gives me the option to browse.  I then browse to the Universal Driver that I downloaded for HP5000 and I go the folder that has the ".inf" files.  The program tells me that it can not find the driver for HP5000.  What am I doing wrong?  Does Windows 7 support the HP Laserjet 5000 printer.  I sure hope so because I can afford to buy a new 11"x17" printer.  Can anybody out there help me?  Thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 9 (20,871 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 5000 support in Windows 7 64-bit

Try the following: on the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Printername (use the actual share name for the computer and printer), OK, then click on Windows Update and then select the appropriate driver.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
ELROSAS
Message 3 of 9 (20,846 Views)

This solution worked and it's simple and easy when you know how to do it but what was throwing me off was that I was using the option of adding a printer on the network and not creating a local port.  Thanks for the help.

Honor Student
Luizfer
Message 4 of 9 (20,430 Views)

[ Edited ]

Finally I have installed the HP LaserJet 5000 in my Windows 7 (32 bits), but I have a big problem: I can't print in 11x17 format. Each time I try to change the paper size, the printer changes back to letter size. I have try many ways, but I can't do it!

Any help, please? Where can I find solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Honor Student
Printninja
Message 5 of 9 (18,761 Views)

Go to Xerox.com and download their universal print driver.  It will work on the Laserjet 5000.  You can use an older XP PPD file for programs like Illustrator or photoshop.

Student
hgdenos
Message 6 of 9 (16,598 Views)

It Doesn't work. My HP 5000 sits idle on my Windows 7 64 bit server because my Windows 7 32 bit can't access it. All the drivers I have download from HP.COM do not work or won't install.

Honor Student
Printninja
Message 7 of 9 (16,593 Views)

I got the HP Laserjet 5100 driver to work witht the Laserjet 5000 printer in Windows 7 64 bit.

Student
richie2040
Message 8 of 9 (11,794 Views)

Hello everyone.

This worked for me once (I was so happy) but now I've got a problem again, I formatted my pc, tried to do the same process again but windows update didn't work, then, when I tried to do it again I got this message "Local Port already exists" now I just don't know how to uninstall or delete that local port I created.

Well, I hope you can help me.

thx in advance

Student
GaryVanCott
Message 9 of 9 (1,171 Views)

I am trying to set up a HP Laserjet 5000DN printer on Windows 8.1. I have it running but only the basic features, not the DN (double sided printing especially). I prefer PostScript and am connecting to it through a network.

Thanks,

Gary

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation