Question

Top Student
Stevoreno
Message 1 of 3 (966 Views)

HP Photosmart C5280 printing issues with envelopes

I've owned an HP Photosmart C5280 All in One inkjet printer for almost 3 years and like my previous inkjet printer which I still have and use from time to time, a workhorse model, the HP Deskjet 895Cse,  I can print different kinds of documents, envelopes, etc. on my Deskjet 895Cse but I have not been able to print on No. 6 envelopes or labels of a similar size on my HP Photosmart C5280 All in One inkjet printer.  For those who don't know a No. 6 envelope is slightly larger than a small personal sized check.  I can print on No. 10 envelopes all day long on my C5280 but I cannot do so on No. 6 sized envelopes or labels of a similar size.  

I called HP's tech support yesterday and spoke to a lady in India, my printer was out of warranty and she wanted to charge me a one time charge of $20.00 to try and diagnose my printing problem, I said no.  She then offered to research my printer, the C5280 to see why I could not print on any No. 6 envelopes, after several minutes on hold she came back on the line and told me my printer, the C5280 would not support or allow me to print on No. 6 envelopes.  That explanation just didn't seem to make any sense to me.

I then tried to explain to her that I had an older injket printer, an HP Deskjet 895Cse inkjet printer that could run circles around my current HP C5280 Photosmart inkjet printer when it comes to printing jobs, on my 895Cse I can print on No. 6, No. 10, No. 11, No. 12, and even No. 14 business sized envelopes, I can also print on USPS Certified Mail return receipt green cards which are a pretty hard stock of paper compared to my 20 pound paper weight envelopes.   On my C5280 printer I can only print on No. 10 and No. 11 envelopes.   

If I can go to MS Word and using the word processing feature create myself a custom sized envelope which has the dimensions of a No. 6 envelope I would think I should be able to print it out on my C5280 printer but I cannot.   The tech in India then tried to sell me an HP Officejet printer which she claimed I could print on No. 6 envelopes with, a printer that sold for $399.00, the tech was very eager to convince me to buy it yesterday, I told her I would not buy any new printer on the spot without first doing some research on it, get ratings on it from other websites, read user reviews about it, etc.   I research all of my electronics like that before I make a purchase.   Is there a way I can change print settings to allow me to print on No. 6 envelopes or is what the HP tech told me yesterday correct, that I cannot print on No. 6 size envelopes on my HP Photosmart C5280 inkjet printer?   If that is the case the next time I plan to buy another printer of anykind I will make sure I know exactly what I can print on it and what sizes I can print on it.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 3 (942 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C5280 printing issues with envelopes

Did you try to add a custom letter size of 3.63 x 6.5 under Print preferences?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Student
Jim_G_Miller
Message 3 of 3 (895 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C5280 printing issues with envelopes

The envelope size that you might be talking about is a 6.75 Regular, or 6.75R.  If you were printing on window envelopes, it would be 6.75W.  In all my life, I have never heard of a #6 ep.  Yes, you have a challenge with 6.75 because the rollers are not in the correct place for this size of item.  In order for me to print 10R envelopes, I have to insert a precut sheet of paper inside the envelope so that the envelope pulls correctly and doesn't get jammed. You might try this with your 6.75 and see if that works for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation