Question

Honor Student
AlecTR
Message 1 of 54 (85,039 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to cancel HP SMART WEB PRINTING?

i have bought a new printer Hp photosmart C4780 and i have installed it. But now everytime i open internet explorer, the hp smart web printing comes up and i have to shut it down myself all the time. how can i disable that web printing? i am using internet explorer 8 on window xp

thanks

Student
tsrman
Message 2 of 54 (85,028 Views)

Re: How to cancel HP SMART WEB PRINTING?

Yes, this is what I need to know too!!!  How do you disable this thing?  I want it, but I don't want to have to shut it down every time I surf.  TAKES UP TOO MUCH REAL ESTATE TO LEAVE THERE BY DEFAULT.

Honor Student
annieinthesun
Message 3 of 54 (84,937 Views)

Hi, Did you get any answer on this? 

I have  Firefox/3.5.6 and  HP SMART WEB PRINTING is not compatible.  I think it's crashing my Firefox connection. 

I found how to remove the HP Smart web printing if you have Internet Explorer 8, which it's also not compatible with.

see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969227

No luck yet removing the HP add on for me on Firefox.

Intern
Nickyton81
Message 4 of 54 (84,933 Views)

it is not compatible with IE 8 or MFF 3.0.However, you can disable it from IE8 by going to Tools>Manage Add-ons or go to Control panel> Internet options>click on 'Programs" tab>click on Manage add ons. If you want to completely remove the add on from your pc, go to Control panel> Add/Remove programs and uninstall SWP from there.

Honor Student
annieinthesun
Message 5 of 54 (84,930 Views)

Dear Nickyton81,

Thank you for your prompt assistance.

I did as you advised and was able to remove the add on from my via  Control panel> Add/Remove programs and uninstall SWP from there.  That succeed to remove the program.

Thanks so much!

Ann

Honor Student
LittleOne21321
Message 6 of 54 (82,315 Views)

I can't uninstall SWP via Control Panel. It is certainly listed there (v1.0), but when I click it to Uninstall, it displays this message: "Need source disk."

Also, SWP is not displayed anywhere within IE Manage Add-Ons, but every time I want to open a Web page or a click-through link, I have to cancel an SWP 1.0 install.

I don't want or need SWP, I've never heard of it before this dialog box starting popping up every 5 minutes. I now have to click "Cancel" three or more times to bypass it, and it's really frustrating.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'd be eternally grateful!

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 7 of 54 (82,288 Views)

Hi,

You could use a program like Revo Uninstaller to try and uninstall it. It does a much better job of cleaning up when compared to the Windows uninstaller.

www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
mansley
Message 8 of 54 (82,042 Views)

Okay - here goes.

It seems as though the HP Smart Web Printing (SWP) IE plugin is installed with the initial package, and I think that HP assumes that the user uses Internet Explorer (IE) as their main browser. 

Not only that, but the SWP plugin has major issues, so needs to be disabled.

I, like a lot of others, don't use IE, and I think that that's where the troubles lie.

Here's what I did, so give it a go.

Reinstall the All in one package completely, having first disconnected the printer.

If you can, access the HP website and install the UPDATE (Just search for drivers for your printer - it's about 1.6 Mb, even though it says that it's much larger), but I don't really think that it's really necessary to install the patch.

Boot into SAFE MODE (the F8 key) and start IE.

In IE, select TOOLS then MANAGE ADD ONS, then in TOOLBARS AND EXTENSIONS disable everything, especially HP SMART WEB PRINTING. Save and exit, then reboot in normal Windows.

After a bit of kerfuffle (drivers installed, programs updated), all should be well.

I hope that this helps you.

Please respond accordingly, so others can benefit. :smileyhappy:

John.

Student
sregdoram
Message 9 of 54 (76,027 Views)

Tks I tried the control panel. However, swp is still glaring at me.

Honor Student
laylacarenslx
Message 10 of 54 (68,428 Views)

AlecTR wrote:

i have bought a new printer Hp photosmart C4780 and i have installed it. But now everytime i open internet explorer, the hp smart web printing comes up and i have to shut it down myself all the time. how can i disable that web printing? i am using internet explorer 8 on window xp

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation