Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi peepsinthehood

That is great that the printer is now working again.

Have a great day.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Printer says its a "web services printer" does that mean anything as far as printer being offline?

HP Recommended

This is dumb and I remembered my Rule #1: I rebooted everything and when it came back, the printer-elves had my printer working, 100% and back online.  Maybe I was just lucky? 

HP Recommended

I went to the control panel and right clicked on the printer and I tried but could not get the check mark off of the "printer offline". It keeps going back to "printer offline". How do I fix this and keep it on line as a default. I have only had this problem since I moved to Windows 8 Pro. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey Swanone,

I understand your Printer is offline on your Windows 8 computer.

The easiest thing to do is just rebooted everything. Turn off router, computer and printer.

Wait a few minutes and turn on router, computer and printer.

Before trying to print make sure there is nothing waiting to be printed.  Right click on your printer and see whats printing.  Remove if anything there.  Try to print again.

If the printer still showing offline try installing and running HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Download and install at this location.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/hho/ipg/ccdoc/p...

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following My previous post.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

There is no option to put the printer "online" when you right mouse click the printer icon

HP Recommended

Maybe I was just lucky, or my #1 Rule was successful:  I shut everything down and patiently waited for a few minutes (a difficult chore when dealing with computers, I know; they are machines, but inherently "evil").  I then reversed the proccess and was grateful when everything returned to normal.  As they say in Canada and Wisconsin (sorry):

When in DOOT...REBOOT.

It's ridiculously simple, but more than once it's solved panic situations.  But you're still allowed to vent, scream, call your hardware names...and THEN start thinking rationally again.  You may want to uninstall and REinstall your printer software as a possible fix.   Thirteen months ago I was a blazingly speedy keyboard whiz.  I had gotten cocky about my 10-year (legal) use of painkillers, had a drug-related "accident" (in a chair, at the computer), my ex-wife found me after 1, 2, 3 days (we don't know), called 911 and saved my life, and after months of surgeries and rehab, I still have an arm and hand.  They don't work, but they're there.  I've learned how to type relatively quickly with my left hand ((I'm an extreme right-hander, and a guitar-player, which I'm still working on) but until you find yourself in my position...

YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND HOW DEMONIC THE "CAPS LOCK", THE "T" AND "Y" KEYS ARE.  Lesson learned.

HP Recommended
My hp 4500 wirless is a piece of crap. moved it from one room to another now it says it is off line and i can't seem to get it back. have reinstalled, and tried to follow your direction but they don't go with a mac. in reinstalltion it dosen't even give an option for a mac. The worst part is HP will not give support unless you pay. I have had 3 hp printer and would never buy another because there is no support. ugh
HP Recommended

Here's what I know about Macs...I'll never own one.  And that would be why?  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have 3 HP printers from back in the day when you bought a digital camera, you got a FREE printer (ink-cost is another issue) .  As far as the offline problem, I've encountered it before (I'm not a big fan of "wireless" anything, even using PS2 mice on my desktops; too many problems, but that's just me).  But I've never had an HP printer, even ones that are giving me the finger, that I'd had to destroy; I can't throw anything away without ripping/cutting/crushing it, but no HP printers; I don't work for HP so this isn't an endorsement.  I have a nice (old) Epson but the paper loads from the rear...pfffft.

First choice:

1-yell and scream at your stuff (something I've done since I met my 1st PC in 1997)

2-turn everything off

3-walk away, watch some TV...

4-reboot everything

5-I think my printer apologized to me once

2nd choice (you've one this already, I guess):

1-uninstall and reinstall the printer software

2-lose the use of your right hand and arm from ODing, passing out and develop "Acute Compartment Syndrome" from lying unconscious on the arm for 2 days;  Google time!  Then, on top of your printer issues, you'll learn to hate the "Caps Lock", "t" and "y" keys.

It's all relative...haven't had suicidal/homicidal issues with my HP printers.  Find me in Flowery Branch, GA, shower me with money and cuss me out for wasting your time...

--Scotty ("Peeps" to my granddaughters when they got too cool to call me "Peepa")

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.