Question

Student
dsteeves-cls
Message 1 of 6 (12,944 Views)

Officejet 6500 won't print black

Hi,

I have an Officejet 6500 AIO that will print any color besides black. We've already replaced the black toner cartridge, ran an alignment (which failed), and did 1st and 2nd level printhead cleaning, all with no improvement. I've been looking online and HP doesn't even sell replacement printheads anymore for this model, and the ones I could find from other vendors cost half the price of a new printer.

Anything else I can try before calling it quits and replacing the whole unit?

Thanks,

Dave

Teacher
Print_Hint
Message 2 of 6 (12,930 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 won't print black

Try the steps in this document:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01661383&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01638029/en_...

I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark this post solved.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 6 (12,920 Views)

If the suggestion from Print_Hint does not resolve the issue you could try soaking the printhead in hot water for a few minutes as described in this post.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
RFC_Alex
Message 4 of 6 (11,644 Views)

The dip in the hot-water for about 5 minute trick worked.  I repeated the cleansing one more time.  The printer is printing normally again!   Thanks for the advice.

Student
terryinkc
Message 5 of 6 (11,407 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500 Wireless Model E709n Won't Print Black Ink

Previously posted suggestion to remove ink cartridges, then remove printer head and soak in hot water for 5 minutes WAS A SUCCESS!!

I ended up doing this twice, gently drying and let it finish air drying.  Replacing printer head and cartridges and restarting printer.  It worked perfectly!  

Thank you for the fix!!

Student
jasondokken
Message 6 of 6 (8,936 Views)

Re: OfficeJet 6500 Wireless Model E709n Won't Print Black Ink

After trying all suggestions - cleaning/washing the printhead fixed the problem of no black ink.  Give it a try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation