Question

Top Student
oldlady10
Message 1 of 5 (1,475 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet HP 5510 All-In-One ---Ink Cartridge door locked –will not open.

Windows XP, Service Pak 3,  Officejet HP 5510 printer, USB connection.

Will not let me open the ink cartridge door.  Thus, I can not install new ink cartridges.   This started, 3 weeks ago,  after I deleted some other software.   When I touch door to pull open, I get this blinking error Message –  “Door open, close print cartridge  access door.”   (but door is not open, it is latched shut).   .   Printer will print documents okay, my problem is that I  can not load new ink cartridges.  I could probably force  it and break it to open it—but am afraid my printer will not work after that.  I like it, and want to keep using it.

Three  times, on different occasions, I have went through the steps,  on your web site to reset printer.  They did not solve this.  I opened back of printer and searched for any paper jam and any scraps or debri.   I took can of air and blew everywhere I could,  but nothing came out.  I did not have a paper jam, when this started.

Is there a pin or something to release, the door somewhere??

If I force door and hinging breaks, will the printer work??

Problem started Dec. 14, 2010.

Thanks

Master's Graduate
Miles
Message 2 of 5 (1,469 Views)

Re: Officejet HP 5510 All-In-One ---Ink Cartridge door locked –will not open.

Hello Oldlady10,

The OJ 5510 has a center door that hinges from above on both sides. It's possible that the door warped a bit in the middle and created a barrier that will not allow the door to open without a lot of force.

Solution: Hold the door with both hands like you are going to open the door, then take both thumbs and apply pressure to the top of the door to push back the warped area and then lift the pen access door.

Miles
HP Employee
Master's Graduate
Miles
Message 3 of 5 (1,461 Views)

I was just at a colleague's desk who has this same printer and the ink access door behaves the way you described. When pulling from the bottom part of the door I could feel the door begin to bind at the top as I brought it up. So, I simply pressed the upper-center part of the door and it flipped open. Good luck! 

Miles
HP Employee
Top Student
oldlady10
Message 4 of 5 (1,459 Views)

Thank you, I can open door using your instructions.  Very happy to be able to still use printer.

Master's Graduate
Miles
Message 5 of 5 (1,452 Views)

You are welcome! Thanks for letting me know you're up and running.

Miles
HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation