Question

Honor Student
EricBazan
Message 1 of 2 (587 Views)

Photosmart c310a: Prints are too dark(!)

Just purchased an HP Photosmart c310a.

Had some difficulty during the install. The setup program crashed and I had to download the latest software off the HP site. Got things installed. I'm running windows XP.

Near the end of installation there's a page where you get to print an image as a test. The image printed out fine.

However after completing the install all the images are now printing out too dark, including the same image which appeared fine when printed during installation. I've tried every pemuatation of print settings from the 'solution center' and nothing seems to make a difference. These are 4x6" prints on HP paper. Yes my monitor is reasonably calibrated.

This is very frustrating and I'm wasting much paper.

Any suggestions? BTW, I'm printing from my desktop via USB cable.

Honor Student
EricBazan
Message 2 of 2 (579 Views)

Re: Photosmart c310a: Prints are too dark(!)

I got things to print propely when using a memory card (!) I must be 'old fashioned' for trying to print from desktop via cable.

I went from:

http://www.fractalfreak.com/wx/c310_1.jpg

Where every image printed too dark, despite modiftying the printer properties from hp solution center (paper type, color management, max dpi,, etc.). Always printed too dark. The middle image, which printer properly, was a test print made during the end of installing the printer software.

I then transferred some images to a 1GB sd memory card. Images printed via memory card look good. Apparently that's why printer does not include a USB cable - you're intended to print from memory card. Windows XP interface to printer buggy. Also, .png and .bmp (lossless) file formats not recogized by printer - only jpg ??

Printed from memory card image brightness looks good (matches test image finally)

http://www.fractalfreak.com/wx/c310_2.jpg

Only wasted > 1/4 ink determining this :smileysad:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation