Question

Tutor
drbb01
Message 1 of 5 (2,947 Views)
Accepted Solution

Workarounds for Missing Officejet 6500a (E710a-f) Features?

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased an Officejet 6500A (E710a-f) and discovered that the driver lacks two important features I had mistakenly assumed would be included, since they have been available on the Deskjet printers for many years: print preview and manual two-sided printing. The manual simply states to print the odd and even pages separately--a challenge at best when the application from which I am printing doesn't offer that as an option, and there does not appear to be a print preview option at all.

First (manual two-sided printing): I have seen ads for the 6500A Plus (E710n) that include manual two-sided printing, so I am wondering if the 6500a is able to use that driver if I install it without causing other problems. If not, does anyone know of other work-arounds for two-sided printing?

Second (Print Preview): Unless my working application has an automated print preview feature, other than printing to a pdf creator (like CutePDF) and reviewing the layout in a PDF viewer (like Adobe Reader), is there a simple way to preview text before printing?

Finally, I'd like to believe there is a good reason why these features--available on Deskjet printers for many years--were left out of the Officejet 6500, but I haven't found it yet. If someone who understands print drivers can explain this to me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

UPDATED 7/26/11: 1) Re duplex printing: I found a video on the HP support website that provides a two-step solution to two-sided printing: first, print the odd pages, then the even pages (a two-step process). It would be great, however, if there were a driver that would do this in one step, as there has been on MANY HP Deskjet printers in the past. Is there an existing print driver that does manual duplexing that will work with the Officejet 6500A???

2) Re Print Preview: No luck at all with "Print Preview." Any suggestions would still be appreciated. If HP personnel monitor this forum, please let me know whether this is a futile effort or whether there is a fix to this problem. I waste LOTS of paper by not being able to check what the final layout of documents will look like before printing!!!

Student
Jaxtester
Message 2 of 5 (2,759 Views)

Workarounds for Missing Officejet 6500a (E710a-f) Features?

I bought the e701n. It was a $200 piece of junk. It also did not have any print preview functions I called tech support and he fumbled around remotely for min then agreed it did not have it. The printer software seemed either incomplete (they rushed it to market) or like the basic driver package. I really thought I somehow mistakenly installed the basic drivers but no such luck.

Also the touch screen features where NOT accurate and required several attempts to work correctly, it jammed on my second print job.

It did have the duplexer which worked fined.

In the end I took it (6500) back because like you I need the print preview option. Its crazy they removed it or forgot to include it. I will try the 4500 (non-wireless) , which looks like it does have the ability

Top Student
Quiet_Storm
Message 3 of 5 (2,396 Views)

Re: Workarounds for Missing Officejet 6500a (E710a-f) Features?

@ drbb01

I've been looking for a solution for several hours and finally found one!!!

I have a tutorial which explains how to install an alternative driver that can handle the manual two-sided printing.

The driver used is the driver of the printer Officejet Pro K550 Series. But I'm not sure if you have to follow each step in the tutorial to make it work. Unfortunately the tutorial is in Geman...

If you still need the information let me know an I'll try to translate the tutorial into English.

My regards, Marc

Tutor
drbb01
Message 4 of 5 (2,384 Views)

@Quiet_Storm-- Thanks for the tip. According to the HP Website, the driver for the Officejet Pro K550 is built into Win7(x64), which is my OS. HP apparently does not have a downloadable driver for this OS. Without the printer, I cannot access the driver. So far, the odd-even page process is working well enough, but if you (or anyone else) has further information on how to work around this issue, please share.

The much bigger issue for me is the lack of a preview function. I still don't understand why HP left this out--or has failed to come up with a work-around. I can't imagine how many trees have died for this sin! 

Student
Klaas
Message 5 of 5 (1,592 Views)

I do get print example in Word etc.

About printing both sides. I have the mechanical device from my old priter which fits exactly in the backside of this printer, The device automatically turns the paper and makes it possiblke to print both sides. There is a more expensive version of the 6500 available that does this..... But now I have the mechanics but the driver does not support is.... Smart guys at HP!! Old printer broken with hardly ever used page turning device, still 100% ok. But than not usable with new printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation