Question

Student
rpennewell
Message 1 of 15 (16,731 Views)

how can i make my officejet 6500a print in black and white only?

I just bought an officejet 6500a and I can't figure out how to make it print in black in white only.  I print a lot of stuff that doesn't need color and want to save my ink. On some prints it gives me that option when I print. but for the most part it doesn't allow me to change to black and white on things i am printing off the web

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 15 (16,727 Views)

Re: how can i make my officejet 6500a print in black and white only?

There are a few things to check - first set the paper type to "plain paper", not "automatic" if you are printing on plain paper.  Printing two-sided may preclude black-only printing as the front page of duplexed prints is generally underprinted with color ink.

Even when printing in black only there will be some color ink used for servicing, see the page here.

Printing in fast draft will use less ink than other print modes.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
jmlindy
Message 3 of 15 (16,470 Views)

hi!

I'm having the same issue with my 6500a...I choose plain paper, draft quality, single sided, and it still prints color.  All my previous HP printers gave me the option of choosing to print in color, high quality, or black and white only.  How can I get my new printer to print black and white only?

thanks!

Student
Sandjbooth
Message 4 of 15 (15,615 Views)

How can i make my HP Officejet 6500 Printer print in black ink only
Student
Arthur_VP
Message 5 of 15 (15,077 Views)

Don't know if this would work under Windows7, but I figured out how to work my 'Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - E710n' under WindowsXP w/ sp3. Make sure you have the latest driver, (2010-11-11 , Version:22.50.231, 114.55M) - 'Full' Feature Software and driver. You can download this from the website.

Here's the procedure:

1) Uninstall whatever is installed in you system for this printer & power cycle.

2) From the printer lcd display, reset your printer to factory default by going to Setup/Tools/Factory Default.

3) Shutdown your printer & unplug the power supply for 30seconds; then plug back in & power it up.

3) Install the software/driver that you downloaded.

4) After installing the software, go to the printer folder, right click on your printer & go to Properties.

5) Under General tab, click on Printer Preferences, go to the Paper/Quality tab & click the Advance button.

6) On the Advance Option window, under Printer Features, change 'Print in Grayscale' from Off to Black Ink Only.

7) Confirm everything until you go back to your Printer Properties & click on Print Test Page to see.

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

Student
DrMacgiver
Message 6 of 15 (12,934 Views)

File>Print>Preferences>Advance

Look for 'Printer feature'

2 line down look for "Printer in Grayscale" 

Change to "Off"

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 7 of 15 (12,914 Views)

how can i make my officejet 6500a print in black and white only?

Pages 30-34 of the user manual for the Officejet 6500A covers how to change print preferences for the printer with both Mac and Windows. It covers documents, brochures and photos and covers finding the gray scale option. Here is a link to that manual http://goo.gl/6J61R .

I hope that this helps.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Honor Student
Rogier
Message 8 of 15 (10,669 Views)

Actually, it doesn't help.

1st of all, "hiding" the basic (and much required) option of printing in just B&W is plain ridiculous

2nd: why refer to the manual??? Just tell us what we need to do to enable B&W printing on a Mac! Why should that be so difficult???

Honor Student
Rogier
Message 9 of 15 (10,668 Views)

Also: I've looked through the manual you referred to. It ONLY COVERS SELECTING VARIOUS PAPER TYPES AND SIZES!!

WHAT DOES ONE HAVE TO DO TO JUST PRINT IN B&W ON A MAC??????

I know HP likes to sell us color cartridges, but again: it borders idiocy to just rob users from the most basic of options.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 15 (10,653 Views)

The manual Shirlzz1 seems to have exactly what you are lookoing for on page 34.  Did you  read the manual reference Shirlzz1 provided??

To print the photo in black and white, click Grayscale from the Color pop-up menu,
and then select one of the following options:
• High Quality: uses all the available colors to print your photo in grayscale. This
creates smooth and natural shades of gray.
• Black Print Cartridge Only: uses black ink to print your photo in grayscale.
The gray shading is created by varying patterns of black dots, which might
result in a grainy image.
7. Select any other print settings that you want, and then click Print to begin printing.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation