Re: HP Laserjet Color 3600n Driver for Windows 7 (113027 Views)
Student
FastasFlash200
Message 1 of 86 (113,673 Views)

HP Laserjet Color 3600n Driver for Windows 7

according to HP's compatibility lists, there will be no support for HP Laserjet Color 3600n under Windows 7.
Is this really true and if so, for heaven's sake why?

We bought this device not so long ago for our small business office and waited desperately for upgrading computers and devices to windows 7, but it seems HP won't support this well doing business printer under windows 7.

Does it costs so much effort to adapt Vista driver to work under windows 7? 

Student
michael_jon
Message 2 of 86 (113,636 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet Color 3600n Driver for Windows 7

I totally agree.  I purchased this color LaserJet less than 1 year ago for major $$ and now they will upgrade the drivers?  Ridiculous.
Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 3 of 86 (113,529 Views)

I assume michael_jon meant to say ... now they will NOT upgrade the drivers?

Yeah ... my 3600 is about a year and has a manufacture date of June 2008, not like I bought some POS laying in the warehouse for a few years and I got what I paid for ... it was brand new from Staples ... sure I got the receipt for an exact date somewhere!

HP ... ARE YOU LISTENING ...

I'M GOING TO MAKE A STINK TO EVERYONE AND ANYONE I CAN LIKE  CONSUMER PROTECT AGENCIES IN PRETTY MUCH ANY STATE THAT WILL LISTEN! 

AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED YOUR CURE HP TOTAL CARE LOGO IS YOU WITH YOUR HANDS AROUND OUR NECKS JUST SQUEEZING US FOR EVERY RED CENT WE MAKE IN JUST THE DAINTIEST WAYS YOU CAN (BET YOUR MARKETING PEOPLE NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT INTERPRETATION)!.

I DON'T WANT TO HEAR BS SUPPORT RHETORIC FROM YOU GUYS ... FIX THIS.

Student
enderevich
Message 4 of 86 (113,063 Views)

I also am stunned by this decision. It doesn't make any sense given the fact there will be drivers available for ancient HP printers through Microsoft's web site. This makes me regret my decision to purchase this printer. I replaced an HP 1100 with this model. HP sure is trying hard to burn some bridges here. I won't be buying an HP product again. I bought this printer last year.

Student
UncleGadget
Message 5 of 86 (113,027 Views)

This is unbelievable!  We purchased multiple 3600n printers just barely a year ago (September, 2008).  We have made the decision to upgrade our office computers to Windows 7 (from Vista) and now we find out that our practically still new printers are not compatible.  I can assure you that I will NEVER purchase another HP compute or printer... EVER!!!
Student
HansimGlyk
Message 6 of 86 (112,840 Views)

I was also a bit suprised. I bought this printer summer 2008 which was my 6th printer by HP and now there isn't even a driver that I can download from windows-update.

My mother has the Deskjet 870 Cxi which is about 10 years old and she can install drivers for Windows 7. Why am I not allowed to use my HP Color Laserjet 3600 in Windows 7? Don't tell me my printer is to old! I expect driver support for more years. If HP doesn't deliver new drivers I am definitly going to the competition and will never by a product of HP again.

Top Student
mswlee
Message 7 of 86 (112,644 Views)

[ Edited ]

Cracked it!  My 3600n is printing from a wireless Windows 7 pc.

I was trying about three things at once, so future posters may be able to work through what I've done and simplify this by taking out unnecessary steps.

1.  Find a PC on your network that is still running XP and has the 3600n attached as a network printer.  On this PC, share the printer as CLJ3600.

2.  On the Win 7 PC, download the Universal Printer Driver from HP support (I used the one provided under laserJet 3700, as this seemed closest in number to what I wanted - but as it's named "universal", maybe there is only one anyway).  Run the executable.  It wants to set up a printer, but will fail to set up the 3600n as it can't find a Win_7 driver.

3. On the Win 7 PC install a new printer - choose the option "shared printer" and select the CLJ3600 share that you created on your XP machine.  The set up pulls a load of XP drivers across to your Win_7 machine.  Test this shared printer with Print A Test Page from the Properties tab.

4. Now go back to a program you want to print from in Win_7 (I used Picassa to prove it worked on printing a photo) and print to the normal HP LaserJet 3600 printer that was on your PC before you upgraded it to Win_7.  Hey Presto!  Win_7 prints to the HP LJ3600.

Hope that is more help than HP have been so far.  If I had needed to buy a new printer you can GUARANTEE it would have been anything but an HP one after all the help they've been here.

Happy hacking!

Message Edited by mswlee on 10-27-2009 08:12 AM
Top Student
renep
Message 8 of 86 (112,529 Views)

I'm also very disappointed. Just bought a new HP Pavilion notebook with 64-bit Windows 7 and now my almost brand new 3600N is unsupported :smileymad:

Top Student
renep
Message 9 of 86 (112,474 Views)

I got it working by simply downloading the HP Color LaserJet 3600 Host Based Driver (61.082.61.41 26 Nov 2008) for 64 bit Vista on my 64 bit Windows 7. The driver installed without a problem and the test page prints just fine from Windows 7.

I don't understand why HP doesn't explain this!?

Honor Student
Canute
Message 10 of 86 (112,468 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the lead.  Worked for me too.  But HP still needs to create the appropriate drivers.

[EDIT] - I posted too soon.  The Test Page printed just fine.  But nothing else prints correctly.  I get the following error message printed:

PCL XL error

Subsystem: Kernel

Error:  IllegalTag

Operator:  0x2c

Position: 3

So the quest to print continues.  If this is not fixed properly, my next printer won't be an HP.  I used to be brand loyal to Lexmark, then they screwed up once too often.  I consider this to be a major issue.  HP should support recently manufactured printers.

Message Edited by Canute on 10-28-2009 03:49 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation