Question
HP Laserjet Color 3600n Driver for Windows 7
Replies (85)

Student
mdcitrus
Message 11 of 86 (17,860 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet Color 3600n Driver for Windows 7

There are 3 universal drivers listed for the LJ3700 so far tried 2 of 3. My win7 is not detecting the shared CLJ3600 from my XP machine... my BP is now medicatable... There has got to be a way to do this.  The universal PCL driver causes a "personality"error on my 3600 and nothing prints. Funny though I can see my printer, see the error codes, see the ink levels... just can't do anything..... 

Grrrrr. 

Top Student
mswlee
Message 12 of 86 (17,850 Views)

mdcitrus wrote:

There are 3 universal drivers listed for the LJ3700 so far tried 2 of 3. My win7 is not detecting the shared CLJ3600 from my XP machine... my BP is now medicatable... There has got to be a way to do this.  The universal PCL driver causes a "personality"error on my 3600 and nothing prints. Funny though I can see my printer, see the error codes, see the ink levels... just can't do anything..... 

Grrrrr. 

I don't know which 2 versions you tried, but I went straight to the PostScript one, being the most advanced, and thought I would work back from there to PCL drivers if that didn't work (the Postscript one did work and I didn't have to try the others).  By the time you read this you will probably have either tried all 3 or burst a blood vessel. By the way, and just to be clear, I loaded the Universal Print Driver on the Win_7 machine, not the XP machine.

It's strange that you can't detect the shared printer.  Can you use My Network Places (or the Win_7 equivalent) to see the XP PC that's meant to be doing the sharing? Then double click on it to see its CLJ3600?  If not, then either the sharing hasn't worked or the PC's aren't on the same domain or workgroup.

Keep posting if you have any more clues or want to share a success and help others who follow.

Honor Student
3547fl
Message 13 of 86 (17,813 Views)

Just download the full Vista 64 bit printer install (48.8 Meg) and it installed without an issue. Both color and grayscale tested well.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate on a new system Intel i7 quad with 6 meg. ram.

Honor Student
outjet
Message 14 of 86 (17,782 Views)

[ Edited ]

==========

Just download the full Vista 64 bit printer install (48.8 Meg) and it installed without an issue. Both color and grayscale tested well.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate on a new system Intel i7 quad with 6 meg. ram.

==========

It may appear to work when you print a test page, but when trying to print an image, you will get two pages, the first blank, the second showing:

PCL XL error
Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: ColorSpaceMismatch
Operator: VendorUnique
Position: 13

- Running Windows 7 Home 64-bit.

Message Edited by outjet on 11-01-2009 08:20 AM
Honor Student
3547fl
Message 15 of 86 (17,778 Views)

Well, I have printed about 10 full page photo's since then and just printed another one and it seems to be working fine for me.

No extra pages, nice print, etc... Mine is networked but I'm that should not make a difference

Not sure what's going on with your issue, good luck with it.

HP, should do a proper driverdown load for Win 7 to support their product.

Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 16 of 86 (17,769 Views)

Yeah, I too spoke too soon as I only tested the print spooler test page. Tried to print a google map and directions to the 3600 (which is not my default) and bunch of junk prints to the default printer) and nothing on the 3600 ... this use of Vista drivers is too inconsistent ... not worth a ^&*$()$.

HP when you going to show up here and be the stand up company that America expects, no wonder the economy is in the toitel.

HP we expect more on you ... like a driver.
Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 17 of 86 (18,017 Views)

So HP had an "experts" day on the forum for Windows 7 and Printing ... and I of course crossposted some of the tidbits from our LJ3600 problems.

So there participation reminds me of the that 60's anti-war slogan ... what if they gave a war and nobody showed up.

Yup, that's right no experts showed up for experts day, at least none of them were willing to show their faces as far as our problem ... some experts!

HP how much do we have to insult and goad you before you show up!

The experts day forum is how archived as read only, but here is link for your reading pleasure ...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=PrintingWin7&thread.id=81

Next farce of an experts day is the 19th ... I think we should show our ticked off faces and overload that forum with new individual threads and lets see how long the can keep ignoring us. 

Honor Student
DoubleDoom
Message 18 of 86 (17,988 Views)

I have been running my lasterjet 3600dn fine using using the Vista x64 drivers.   Printed hundreds, it not thousands of pages since.

However, I have none of the HP software installed.  I went with the driver only as the HP software is too resource heavy and largely pointless.  

I do still think HP should support the printer with a Win 7 specific driver as it is not an old printer and its not cheap.  

Honor Student
Canute
Message 19 of 86 (17,979 Views)

I tried the drivers only method and it didn't work, but given your success I'll try again.

I've marked my calander to be back on Nov 19th for the next experts day.  Thanks for the heads up MPO.

Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 20 of 86 (17,912 Views)

doubledoom ... is your Windows 7 32b or 64b? I'm 32 and had no luck with Vista 32b, didn't think to try the 64b (usually installers bounce you, but I'll admit I didn't try) ... may be that is the rub ... needing W7 64b just to allow the Vista 64 3600 driver. Also are you going via usb or network, I'm network.

A lot of factors to screw up and universal driver method needs a working non w7 box. 

Bottom line is ... HP needs to get of there greedy rear in gear and fix this even if it means a hardware change out of the network/usb main board (which is a simple slide out card requiring no tools or machine disassembly (it is the whole aluminum back plane where the USB and network cable plug in ... just power off and press the upper and lower plastic tabs (that kind of look like handles on the back plane) toward each other and pull) ... not rocket science and probably some other higher model already fits it ... do they think us in capable of changing a card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation