Question
HP Laserjet Color 3600n Driver for Windows 7
Replies (85)

Honor Student
DoubleDoom
Message 21 of 86 (15,064 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet Color 3600n Driver for Windows 7

My desktop is x64 and my laptop is x32.  Both have the correct x32/x64 drivers installed (driver only) and both are working fine.

The printer is connected via network.   Although I have printed thousands of pages, I havent tried greyscale.   My colour option (on the colour tab) are set to automatic with greyscale unselected.

Given the cost of the cartridges and that mine run out nearly all at the same time, I am probably not going to buy new cartridges next time but buy a new printer and it won't be HP.     I had to dump a printer once before (i think it was when Win 98 went to Win XP) and that was an HP and they didnt do the drivers then.    I should have listened to the saying "once bitten, twice shy".

Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 22 of 86 (15,050 Views)

DD ... Thanks for info ... OS matched 32 and 64 Vista 3600 network based works for you and my similiar 32b set up doesn't for me.

Only other possible diff I have is that I also have a HP AIO inkjet printer (USB attached) that is working (W7 driver) that is default printer and gets garbage when I try the 3600. Nothing seesm to explain why Vista driver work for some people and not others.

Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 23 of 86 (14,938 Views)

I sort of finally got Vista drivers to work ...  issue was multiple printers ...

I had tried, multiple methods/ways to no avail and tried one more time doing unzip the Vista driver to a directory then add printer -> network -> give tcp -> have disk -> point to unzipped vista driver -> override existing (because good knows what was current was given that I had tried so many times).

What I believe was different this time was that I apparently also set the 3600 as the default printer (unintentionally). A print of spooler test page, a picture and a web page all worked properly.

I have multiple printers and a C6180 AIO is the printer that is next to the W7 machine in question and the lj3600 in another room with a another PC (with Vista) and the 3600 is network attached and usb attached (to the Vista machine it is next to) .

Since the c6180 is next to the W7 machine in question, the 6180 was intended to be the default for that machine and apparent prior lj3600 set up attempts left the 6180 as the default.

When I switch the default printer back to the c6180 the problem of garbage to the wrong printer came back. When I switch the default printer back to the lj3600 printing to the 3600 worked again. I also confirmed the 6180 was also working when it was not the default. So toggling the default printer can make the problem come and go without reinstall / re-setup of the printer.

To sum up ...

Vista Driver solution for lj3600 on W7 is possibly not good if multiple printers are involved (as confirmed with a c6180) unless the 3600 is the default.  If  default (non 3600) printer prints garbage when attempting to print to the 3600, switch the default printer to the 3600 and retest printing; printing should be ok when so configured. If printing still doesn't work, it is not the same (known) problem.

Leaving the 3600 as the default or switching machine defaults (vs at print time page) is the temporary fix.

To the fellow that mention he had multiple 3600's (assumedly all), god knows what will happen for you.

Some how I also got an email labeled Routine Alert for your HP LaserJet Printers, HP Color LaserJet Printers and HP LaserJet MFP and All-in-One Products and it referenced two alerts. One from Aug 26 and the other Oct 12. The Oct 12 was simple general how to setup printers on W7 (boring). The Aug 26 one was more interesting in that it was a W7 printer product support listing that I had not come across before, but then I across checked and it is the same old support page, but it has been redone and in this listing, for the 3600 it said ...

Note: The Windows Vista HP Color LaserJet 3600 host based driver (version 61.082.61.41) is currently available for download for those that require an immediate solution, however the use of this driver will be at your own risk as it has not been completely qualified and tested for use within the Windows 7 operating system. Early testing results have been positive, however it is recommended to test this driver prior to implementation within a production environment. HP will be providing an update soon regarding the final solution for the HP Color LaserJet 3600.

Well obviously I found one of the problems, but at least they finaly said publically that they are working on it ... basically "WE THE PEOPLE" have won.

For reference the link is HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet and LaserJet MFP Products - Product Support for Microsoft Windows 7.

So while we seem to have won, HP is of course trying to slide another one past us like they never said it was dropped since an "alert" dated Aug now point to a very recently updated page.

So much for apologies, they are just insulting our intelligence that they thought we were going to let them get away with dropping a virtually new printer ... sorry HP boys and girls ... I have a print of the old page ... no fooling me ... face it ... apologize because we are just having fun with you at your expense for not fessing up.

Retired
ThatGarenGuy
Message 24 of 86 (14,830 Views)

Hey MPO. I'm trying to find the root cause of where your concerns are as well. I'm looking both at the driver issue and have people looking for that, plus I'm going to find out if that driver alert was really post dated. I don't think our system allows for that, but I'll confirm.

GarenT

Intern
MoreTickedOff
Message 25 of 86 (14,812 Views)

GarenT ... there is another competing thread on same subject ...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Software&thread.id=5842 

in that thread on 10/5 (2nd entry) I placed a link to the page and that underlying link has changed.

Clearly that link at that point in time was to a page that drop of support else why would we be bitching if that link wasn't an outright drop of the 3600 as we have been saying all along!

I'm not saying the altert was post dated, but that a link it pointed to was change giving it the appearance the HP is trying slide one past us.

Honor Student
kenr14
Message 26 of 86 (13,779 Views)

[ Edited ]

<text deleted> I refuse to purchase another product from them.  I know it isn't their fault, but they sure are making it ours and it isn't our fault either!  HP needs to get out of the kitchen if they can't stand the heat.  Their beef is with Microsoft, but they are making us pay the price.  My 3600dn is just over 18 months old and they won't support it for their current computer hardware products?  Ridiculous.  If ANYONE out there knows how we can force them to provide us a stupid driver rather than buy a new printer, PLEASE help us!!!

Honor Student
Bob23
Message 27 of 86 (12,144 Views)

I will never, never, never buy an HP product again, after having to replace my scanner and printer (3600n) when I installed Windows 7. They should be ashamed, not backing up their recent products.

Student
jtatsb
Message 28 of 86 (11,801 Views)

[ Edited ]

ridiculous ... no win7 64bit printer drivers .. just decomissioned my couple of months old  clj3600n and replaced it with a brother ! Thanks for nothing HP

Top Student
mswlee
Message 29 of 86 (11,769 Views)

Don't give up on the printer.  It is quite possible to make it work.  I've posted separately how I managed this and others have done the same.  It's just not easy. 

Student
Cryingfreeman
Message 30 of 86 (11,712 Views)

first install in windows xp (only one computer ) then copy the install package into windows 7 and run it enjoy hp laserjet 3600n   ....  ever problem have a solution just try this ...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation