Installing Photosmart C5100, C6100, C7100 in Windows 7 RC (20807 Views)
Tutor
rgreen
Message 1 of 14 (20,807 Views)

Installing Photosmart C5100, C6100, C7100 in Windows 7 RC

[ Edited ]

While evaluating Windows 7 (I love it), I installed my networked LJ P2015dn and CLJ 2605dn using the drivers that came with Win7. I also installed the PS C6180 the same way and then deleted it. It installed beautifully (as did the Laserjets), but in so doing one gives up the scanning function. This afternoon, I finally got around to attempt an install from the original CD that came with the printer.

It started, checked for updates, and then gave me the dreaded - This is not Vista, please install on a Vista machine - error message. When I got the box to try to install via the recomended settings, which sets up the compatibility mode, it tried to install but that failed as well as running it from CD doesn't seem to work.

I then went to the driver download page, read through that, and downloaded the install file for Vista 64bit. I copied the file from the download folder to my desktop and then started the program. Again, I got the dreaded error message, but this time when I clicked on install via the recommended settings, it did go all the way through and sucessfully installed not only the printer driver, but the scanner driver and Solution Center and Photosmart as well.

For those looking for Win7 RC drivers for their printers, the Vista install disc most likely will not work. However, downloaded the Vista full feature driver from the website most likely will. It will fail on the first attempt, for the Vista drivers seem to have a check in them to make sure no one accidently installs them on XP, but when you then get the compatibility box asking if you want to attempt with recommended settings, it will probably work.

The download I used was on the C6180 driver page, but my Vista disc states it is for the C5100, C6100 and C7100 series. The download package appears to be the same version as on my CD, but as the download package expands into the temp file, apparently the compatibility mode can open all the files, where it fails on the different directories on the CD.

Hopefully, this will help others with this printer series, and others, evaluating Windows 7 RC (build 7100).

Message Edited by rgreen on 07-05-2009 02:12 PM
Honor Student
jettavwdrvr
Message 2 of 14 (20,037 Views)

Re: Installing Photosmart C5100, C6100, C7100 in Windows 7 RC

Help!!

I received a retail copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from Microsoft and I installed it last night...nowmy HP Photosmart C6100 does not scan due to not having the correct driver.  When will the Win 7 driver be available????

Honor Student
jettavwdrvr
Message 3 of 14 (20,036 Views)

Fixed it. 

D'OH.

I ran the .exe in Vista SP 2 compatibility mode.

(BTW, I was trying to get the scan & fax functions to work, not just the basic printing that is included in Win 7.)

Student
benedictc
Message 4 of 14 (19,385 Views)

How do connect the C5100, which hsa a SCSI connection to a new laptop whish has only USB ports? Do I have to toss a perfectly good scanner? Help me please...!
Grad Student
SophiaS
Message 5 of 14 (19,073 Views)

Good news if you are still looking for software for these products:

Photosmart c5180

Photosmart c6100

Photosmart c7100 software

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved .....

(I am an HP employee)
Honor Student
Alien66
Message 6 of 14 (19,041 Views)

I have installed and uninstalled the C6160 software on Windows 7 for for the sixth time now. The printer seems to stay most of the time, but the scanner dissappears, or is not discoverable to the scan programs after the first or second successful use.Even  just trying to scan another document without any restart in between. I can't even get the scan back by re-installing the software again. It is the newest hp C6180 software for Windows 7.

This is essentially the same problem I had with Vista before the 'critical' patch that kept the drivers from uninstalling themselves. I scan a lot, and I am out of the scan business now! I have fought this problem now for about 2 years. Pretty unhappy to say the least!

Grad Student
SophiaS
Message 7 of 14 (19,011 Views)

Hi Allen66,

It sounds like you may be experiencing a scan to black hole issue I've seen in other forum threads.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&thread.id=4501

From JonW
We have been working very hard on a workaround for this problem.

I would like to thank many of my learned colleagues in various parts of the world for helping create this solution.

The problem stems from a dll not being upgraded during the Cue 13 install.

The correct version of this dll can be found here - filename hpqxmlul.dll

ftp://noscnfil:update2@hprc.external.hp.com/

Save this file to your PC and then copy it to the correct location.

For 32 Bit
C:\Program Files\HP \Digital Imaging\bin

For 64 Bit
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP \Digital Imaging\bin

After you have copied the file to the correct location and overwritten the one that was there restart the PC and the scanning problem should go away
Thanks
JonW

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please let me know if that helps.

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved .....

(I am an HP employee)
Honor Student
Alien66
Message 8 of 14 (18,980 Views)

Thank you very much! I will give it a try.
Honor Student
sandyfeet65
Message 9 of 14 (14,810 Views)

PHOTOSMART C5180 C5100 SERIES DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 7 64-BIT DOES NOT WORK

I have a photosmart c5180 which worked great until I tried to install in my new computer with Windows 7 64-bit.  I downloaded the driver from the hp support site. (which is the link you provided) guess what?  It doesn't work. Oh...it installs ok. and works the first time you use it, but then....I try to print anything from a website and get pages of nonsense symbols. Or...I try to print something and my pc says I need to install a printer. Whenever I try to print anything I get the little noise that indicates something has just been plugged in or unplugged over and over again. .. (you know that sound, right?)  I have uninstalled and installed this driver and the updates at least 10 times. It is somehow not compatible.   I finally gave up and installed it back onto my old computer which runs Windows Vista.   At any rate, my point is that the driver you have on your website for the photosmart c5180 for windows 7 64-bit .....needs to be redone - it doesn't work.

Student
herherm
Message 10 of 14 (12,814 Views)

certainly glad i found you here, thanks so much. i now have it running over my network. followed simply directions,hard for 65 yr.old man, but worked perfectly. thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation