Question

Intern
demo56
Message 1 of 4 (8,258 Views)

What happens to vista key, when I upgrade to Windows 7?

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion p6110fpc, with vista premium 64 bit os installed.  What happens to the vista os, when I upgrade to Windows 7?  Can I transfer the vista os to an older computer that I own?
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 4 (8,249 Views)

Re: What happens to vista key, when I upgrade to Windows 7?

When u upgrade to or install a fresh copy of Windows 7 then the Windows Vista key won't be used since you'll have Windows 7.

There's gonna be Windows 7 basic, premium and ultimate version both x32 and x64bit versions.

In other words if you upgrade to Windows Vista from Windows Vista you could use that Windows Vista for another pc that has the same version of vista (32bit Premium keys only work with 32bit Vista Home Premium operating systems, same with 64bit versions and same with basic or ultimate). Need to have the same version of Windows Vista for that key to work.

Windows 7 will have it's own Windows 7 key that only works on Windows 7. For example, Windows 7 32bit Ultimate. The key for that will only work if you want to use it on another pc with Windows 7 32bit Ultimate. Must match versions.

You cant really trasnfer an operating system. You could transfer the hard drive between desktops but you'll have to reinstall or recover windows if you go that route.

The easier way is if you have your own copy of Windows Vista that matches what u have now on your main pc and want to install it on your secondary pc since on your main computer you'll upgrade from Vista to 7. You could then take the key from sticker from the main pc (usually the sticker is on the back of the hp pc) and use it for your secondary pc's OS.

Sorry for the long paragraph.

How many computers do you have or plan on having with your setup?

If it's just one pc, then you won't need to worry about activation or keys if it's a legitimate copy or Windows 7 or an upgrade disc.

Teacher
Chandu
Message 3 of 4 (8,243 Views)

Hi,

If the OS is the factory installed OS then you would not be able to transfer the OS to a different computer as it is binded with hardware that is shipped along with the computer. However if the OS was installed on your own through a retail disc then you could visit thwe website below from Microsoft...

http://www.microsoft.com/education/license/howtobuy/oslicense.aspx

Chandu
+Hp Everything is Possible.
Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 4 of 4 (8,199 Views)

Yeah, you can't transfer an OEM copy of Windows to another computer
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation