Windows 7 - HP Color Laser 2840 - Driver Problem (107509 Views)
Top Student
mattruss1964
Message 21 of 84 (16,790 Views)

Re: Windows 7 - HP Color Laser 2840 - Driver Problem

This may fix the "too complex" issue printing but does nothing with regards to scanning issues.

1. Press the Menu button on the printer

2. Press the number 2 on the number pad of the printer

3. Use the arrow over > till you come to "High Speed USB" and select "Enter" buttopn.

4. Use the arrow over > to select "Off" then press the enter button

5 The printer will reboot itself and this should allow you to print using the W7 drivers

Student
veegdiensten
Message 22 of 84 (16,087 Views)

Hi,

I have Win7 too and I can not find the right printer driver.

I tried the solutions mentioned above, but it didn't work out.

Does anyone know when I can expect the Win7 2840-driver?

Or how to fix the printing and scanning problem (network and USB)?

Thanks.

Honor Student
daddytym
Message 23 of 84 (15,308 Views)

I just upgraded to win 7 and have the 2840.  Win 7 incorporates all drivers of this printer.  I had no problem doing plug and play install of the printer over the network.  What drove me nuts is that the fax and scan are only available through the USB port of the printer.  So i had to run a USB to my laptop docking station to the printer then do detect decice.  It installed all the fax and scan drivers for me no problem and 100% working.  I read the support on HP and it said that fax and scan are only available through the USB cable.  Check out the bottom section 4 of this link.  http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=...

I am curious though if i run in compatibility XP mode and install the XP disk then mark all the HP apps to run in XP compatibility mode.  I haven't done it yet but sounds kind of logical.  If anyone tried it and it works, please post.

Honor Student
bcncj
Message 24 of 84 (14,786 Views)

Re: Windows 7 - HP Color Laser 2840 - Driver Problem-Problem fixed

THANK YOU very much! I have been trying for months to get the scanner and fax running on my hp2840, ever since I got Windows 7. I did just like you said and ran a USB from the 2840 to my new computer (while still running an ethernet cord to my router) and BAM i can scan and fax again.

Yea its a pain to have to take my laptop over to the 2840 each time but hey it all works again.

Thanks so much.

Student
zuzoo
Message 25 of 84 (14,326 Views)

Re: Windows 7 - HP Color Laser 2840 - Driver Problem-Problem fixed

Thank you bcnjc- USB connection allows scaning through the device- no director avaliable for W 7-

USB work fine

Student
TechSuppMM
Message 26 of 84 (14,241 Views)

I have had this problem twice with HP now - firstly with a high end HP business scanner which wouldn't work with XP64 despite HP telling me it would when I made a pre-sales enquiry and now with the 2840. The scanner drivers were released over 1 year later, but sadly the 2840 is just being allowed to become obsolete. Not only is it not fully-functioning with Windows 7, but it has the same problems with Apple OSX Snow Leopard. Most other makes of printer are fine - two different OKI models I set up seem better with W7 - OKIs support statement reads: "It is our aim at OKI Printing Solutions that our customers have the best experience with our printers and multifunctional products when connected to PCs running Windows 7. ." - HP should get themessage The irritation is that he Vista drivers might actually work with the 2840, but the Operating System recognition in the setup stops installation. Almost every other printer of this generation that I have set up with Windows 7 has worked with no problem, either with the Vista drivers or newer W7 drivers.

I phoned for support several times, but the best advice from the HP Support in India was to buy a new printer. I would recommend the Oki range - best print quality and trouble-free updating from XP to Vista to W7.

It is hight time that the massive corporations like HP and Dell learn that if businesses invest huge amounts in their equipment, they expect support and driver upgrades within a reasonable period of new developments and service packs, other upgrades etc. HP have access to test versons of operating systems during development and should be testing for issues. The truth is they are not happy just to sell us consumables at inflated prices, but use these developments as an excuse to allow the equipment to become obsolete.

Student
Globetrotter1
Message 27 of 84 (13,985 Views)

I have had the same problem with my previous HP printer, when I upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP.

The driver was not standard upgraded. I only got the driver to work thanks to the internet community, where somebody had upgraded the driver himself.

Stupid enough I have replaced my previous HP printer, with again a HP printer (HP-LJC2840).

Now the same trouble starts again with the upgrade to Windows 7.

I will never buy another HP again. The company has become too big to take an individual user like me serious.

Even companies with HP printer troubles are neglected.

:smileymad:

Honor Student
thexmanjdd
Message 28 of 84 (13,233 Views)

{This may fix the "too complex" issue printing but does nothing with regards to scanning issues.

1. Press the Menu button on the printer

2. Press the number 2 on the number pad of the printer

3. Use the arrow over > till you come to "High Speed USB" and select "Enter" buttopn.

4. Use the arrow over > to select "Off" then press the enter button

5 The printer will reboot itself and this should allow you to print using the W7 drivers}

thank you for posting that!!!!  , it seemed to solve the problem of printing.

Now I'll have to figure out this fax and scan crap.

I've spent hours and hours on this!

I had no idea HP was like this.  This is so wrong. 

Well, at least they set up a support forum, so we can help each other.

This support forum has given me the most information.  I was on chat for hours with people in India trying to help my new HP Pavilion Elite with Windows 7 (with 64bit) computer work with my Color LaserJet 2840 that is only like 2 years old.  We got no where.

I'm going to bed now, it's 4am and I've been working on this since 1pm yesterday.  I NEED THIS **bleep** THING TO WORK!  :smileymad:

Top Student
HP_Never_Again
Message 29 of 84 (11,524 Views)

I've known this problem would eventually catch up with me and to avoid it have avoided upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7. However, a failed hard drive on a less than 12 months old HP laptop caused me to upgrade to Windows 7 and now I'm with everyone else, further frustrated with HP.

Having recently upgraded another PC on my network a few months ago I knew not to try to load the original software that came with the printer when I purchased it in November 2007. Getting a driver driver to work just to print has been a problem, receiving the same error as others, "Page too complex". Thanks to the tip earlier in this thread I have turned off the High Speed USB. Now I can at least print in black and white, but no colour! Real handy for a colour All-in-One Printer/Fax/Scanner purchased, from a reputable manufacturer, just over 3 years ago!

It is interesting to note that just prior to the end of my printer support term, I received a call from Matt at HP Support (ph 02 94280724) offering me a further 3 years support for $500 odd dollars, to which I suggested he must be joking as the printer is not presently supported by Windows 7 software; the printer has been problematic constantly loosing "Toolbox"; and for $500, I could purchase a new Printer/Fax/Scanner that was supported and hopefully wouldn't be so problematic!

How about it HP, are you a progressive organisation that will support buyers of your products and will release Windows 7 compatable software for this All-in-One Printer/Fax/Scanner? At a purchase price of $1,199.00 for the most expensive multifunction printer available at the time, I think we deserve better. Otherwise I know if will be a Fuji Xerox, Brother or Samsung for me next time! 

Top Student
PeterPiper7
Message 30 of 84 (10,674 Views)

[ Edited ]

We are having the same problem.  I have the best technician anywhere.  He was not able to modify the driver on line.  He informed me that the driver can be modified but Fax and Scan would not be available in the option.  We all have made a major investment in the printer. HP should knock them selves out accommodating us.  Windows should provide a driver which is compatible with our computers.  HP is large enough to get Microsoft's attention.  Somewhere the ball was dropped.  We need help.  HP should provide it. 

My wife works with Apple.  They knock them selves out to help her.  Perhaps they have learned something that HP hasn't.

Apple stock is going way up.  I wonder why? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation