Question

Tutor
ABerri
Message 1 of 70 (292,103 Views)

Windows 7 and Cyberlink YouCam

[ Edited ]

I recently installed Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion DV2988se 64-bit Laptop and everything has been working great so far. I have installed all my software over again using the latest Vista drivers and they work flawlessly. The only problem I have is with reinstalling Cyberlink Youcam. I downloaded it from the driver download page pertaining to my laptop model called "sp37849" and when I install it, it seems to work fine but when I open the program, it says the following:

Cannot connect to this video device (HP Webcam). Please select another capture device via settings or close any application that may be using this video device and restart YouCam.

I normally use my HP Webcam so that I can use the video chat feature on Windows Live Messenger 2009. Even that program can't detect my camera. My webcam should at least be working in the Youcam software shouldn't it?

When I go to device manager, under Imaging Devices here is what I see:

USB Video Device

Driver Provider: Microsoft

Driver Date: 6/21/2006 (This may seem outdated and when I click update drivers, it says you have the most up to date drivers)

Driver Version: 6.1.7100.0

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Any way to get my built in HP Webcam working in Windows 7 RC?

Abe

Message Edited by ABerri on 05-18-2009 03:32 PM
Teacher
Toronto699
Message 2 of 70 (292,094 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and Cyberlink YouCam

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 70 (292,077 Views)

Try this,which has worked for some. Right click the USB video and choose 'Update Driver Software'.On the first screen choose 'Browse my computer for driver software'.On the next screen choose 'Let me pick from a list'. If HP Webcam appears in the list choose it.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
ABerri
Message 4 of 70 (292,072 Views)

Toronto699: I downloaded and installed that new version and I still get the same following message:

Cannot connect to this video device (HP Webcam). Please select another capture device via settings or close any application that may be using this video device and restart YouCam.

I am starting to think it has nothing to do with YouCam. I think it's the fact that I don't have a valid HP Webcam driver installed. In Device Manager under imaging devices, the only thing that's there is USB Video Device. No HP Webcam listed under there. So I think my solution is to find an HP Webcam driver and have that installed before YouCam will work.

Cherylg: My paragraph above will be my response to your post. The only thing under Imaging Devices is USB Video Device. Nothing about an HP Webcam.

Anyone know how to get the latest HP Webcam driver in place so that it will show up under Imaging Devices in Device Manager?

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 70 (292,065 Views)

[ Edited ]

Right click the USB video and choose 'Update Driver Software'.On the first screen choose 'Browse my computer for driver software'.On the next screen choose 'Let me pick from a list'. If HP Webcam appears in the list choose it.

Did you try the above procedure with no luck? If so, try this:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp36001-36500/sp36409.exe

Message Edited by CherylG on 05-18-2009 03:16 AM

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
Tech_Head
Message 6 of 70 (292,028 Views)

Do NOT try CherylG's solution.... it is for an older webcam, and could render your webcam useless and require service to fix (due to the fact that it upgrades firmware too).  The reason it shows up as a USB webcam is that it is a USB webcam.  It uses the internal USB.  The driver that the webcam uses is Microsoft's usbvideo.sys. 
Caveat: I will try to help... I don't know everything...but I try my hardest!!!

Please give kudos if I helped, and mark it as solved if I fixed you...or your problem...:smileyvery-happy:
Tutor
ABerri
Message 7 of 70 (292,022 Views)

Ok then. Does my driver date being as old as 06/21/2006 have anything to do with it. When I click update driver, it tells me that I have the latest update. Also when I try Cherylg's method of the following:

"Try this,which has worked for some. Right click the USB video and choose 'Update Driver Software'.On the first screen choose 'Browse my computer for driver software'.On the next screen choose 'Let me pick from a list'. If HP Webcam appears in the list choose it."

Even when I choose HP from the manufacturers list, it gives me a list of all printer models, scanner models and all. Nothing to do with an HP Webcam.

I even installed the following HP Webcam driver to see if that would do anything:

TITLE: HP Pavilion Webcam Driver

VERSION: 1.00.1.1 Rev. A

DESCRIPTION:

This contains camera driver for Vista

PURPOSE: Routine Release

SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP34746

EFFECTIVE DATE: January 31, 2007

CATEGORY: Input Devices

SSM SUPPORTED: No

When I go to Imaging Devices in Device Manager I still see the same old USB Video Device. How do I go about uninstalling these sp files??

Sorry I'm not trying to yell, just wanna make sure someone can help me with uninstalling these softpack files or do I just delete them from the "SwSetup" folder??

Last but not least, I even tried to test my camera as instructed to do so on HP's website by using the Quickplay Program and it still says that it can't find my webcam and to make sure whatever other program is using it, close it and try Quickplay again.

Abe

Teacher
Tech_Head
Message 8 of 70 (292,006 Views)

The reason it cannot find it is that you no longer have a valid, working webcam.  The SP34746 update that was placed on this unit also flashes the firmware, rendering this useless because HP has changed manufacturers and the webcam of one manufacturer was flashed with the firmware of another.  Unfortunately, HP did not prepare for this contigency and does not have an updated firmware at this time for their newer models.
Caveat: I will try to help... I don't know everything...but I try my hardest!!!

Please give kudos if I helped, and mark it as solved if I fixed you...or your problem...:smileyvery-happy:
Tutor
ABerri
Message 9 of 70 (292,046 Views)

So does this mean I won't be able to use my built in HP Webcam with Windows 7 at all? Does anyone have an HP Pavilion with Windows 7 RC and their built in webcam is working?

If so, please help!!

Provost
CherylG
Message 10 of 70 (292,068 Views)

None of the drivers installed or flashed your firmware if the info in Device Manager never changed. This error about not being able to connect to webcam because it is used by another program is a common one for HP Webcams and has been around for a long while_would think that HP would have it solved and offer solution by now.

I would give Windows 7 some time, it may even offer a driver eventually from W.Updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation