Question

Top Student
SpongeyDan
Message 1 of 7 (2,194 Views)

Windows 7 disk HP sends is the same as retail?

Will the disk of Windows 7 HP sends us be the same as a retail upgrade disk? It will have all the options(upgrade,custom and clean) to install that a regular W7 disk has, right?
Teacher
ryguy2008
Message 2 of 7 (2,127 Views)

Re: Windows 7 disk HP sends is the same as retail?

All of the above, except clean install.

Tutor
Cowman
Message 3 of 7 (2,127 Views)

Received my 'package' today. To be honest I'm considering going down and shelling out for a real copy from MS W-7. I feel I've been duped. The instructions are a typical hurry up, not much detail, multi language, one sheet useless piece of paper. I too have asked your question and I'm afraid that we are only being offered an upgrade. No one at HP has responded to my question yet.  In other words you can't get rid of any old Vista problems. The reason for this comment is that at the very end of the 'document' it states that if you want to do a system restore (w-7) in the future you must restore Vista FIRST and then go through the W-7 upgrade again. I feel dirty!

Teacher
ryguy2008
Message 4 of 7 (2,109 Views)

When did you order? You seem to be one of the select few to have actually gotten a package at least.

That's true about system restore, but apparently you can also make a Windows 7 recovery disc. (Using the operating system software, not something from HP.)

I'm also tempted to use other means to upgrade, just, following the official HP upgarde path is the only way to continue your warranty. If you upgrade on your own using any other version, HP will try to help you on a "best-effort" (their words), but soon after, they'll ask you to use system restore to revert back to the manufacterer's Vista to solve your problem, should one arise.

Tutor
Cowman
Message 5 of 7 (2,103 Views)

I'm fairly sure I sent in my request in late
August. For sure early Sept. As for creating a W-7 restore I'm confident that
they have locked this out. My only input is the "IMPORTANT!" message
at the bottom of the instructions that warns one to keep track of your Vista
restore disks. I have to admit that I do like the customizations that HP adds
to their release of OS's. I would most certainly lose this if I went direct
with an W-7 retail install. Since I've only been using this system for about 2
months I have some faith that the registry (or whatever W-7 uses) is not to
corrupt; not like a couple of XP systems that I have that are still limping
along. I have been holding back on installing anything but some basic programs
that I use. There may be some hidden gremlins in there but the system appears
to be functioning as fast as when I first took it out of the box. I'll give their
version a try first. I can always strip it down and fly on my on, support wise,
with a real MS version
Tutor
Cowman
Message 6 of 7 (2,099 Views)

I just now reread the last part of the instructions. 'After the Upgrade'. And it specifically states " After the upgrade, you cannot start the System Recovery feature in the Recovery Manager from the Windows Start button. If you ever need to recover the computer operating system, you must perform a System Recovery from Disks by using the HP recovery DVDs for Windows Vista..............."   Bummer, Huh?
Top Student
SpongeyDan
Message 7 of 7 (2,035 Views)

So, we can't do a totally clean install with the HP disk?  I was hoping to format and wipe Vista off, seems most everyone says this is the best way to do it.

Well, guess I'll try the custom install and see how it goes. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation