Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
It also stop working for me who found the 3055 workaround in the first place.  I don't who I am more angry with ,HP or Microsoft for updating Windows 7 to not work with the HP 1012 printer when we all know that there is no problem getting a driver to work.  I installed the Vista 64 host based driver method and of course am getting the 10 sec delay before it prints.  Being that I don't print very often anymore, it's not bothering me to much at this time.  I also have a HL-2170W Brother b/w laser network printer upstairs and CLX-3170 Samsung all-in-one color laser network printer sitting next to my HP 1012 downstairs.  Both of these other brands are bottom of the barrel price point printers as well but do not have Windows 7 drivers issues.  I will never buy anything HP again after this bitter experience because they are evil for doing this.
HP Recommended

Ok, now as I've vented perhaps prematurely against microsoft and HP, here is something to try.  Hopefully this post will be more constructive.  Tell me if this works for you and how long.  Turn off your 1012 printer.  Turn it back on and see if the unsupported PCL issue goes away with a test print.  If it does move on to a possible fix.  If it doesn't you will need to turn off your printer, uninstall it, then turn it back on and install it with the 3055 drivers. 

Now Right Click over the 3055 printer to get a menu, go to Printer Properties (not the bottom of the menu which just says properties), go to the Advance Tab, click on Print Processor Tab, click on winprint for the print processor selection and RAW for the Default Data type.  Make sure you click the APPLY button after these are highlighted.  My printer is working again but for how long is to be determined.  The source of this workaround is from a link where HP 1012 users were have the same issue with Vista in 2007. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaprinting/thread/c2961d58-cbd9-4875-b19d-c15f1b707ea8

HP Recommended
Nevermind, don't waste your time.  This issue with the Unsupported Personality PCL pops up when you print a complicated page such as a graph or picture.  I printed pages on www.anandtech.com to test this out.  Once you print a complicated page, the Unsupported Personality PCL will pop up no matter what the page is thereafter.  You can usually turn your printer off then on again and the issue will go away until you print another complicated page.  Some settings worked for awhile, but the 1012 eventually gave the Unsupported Personality PCL error again.  Oh well, the Vista Host Base driver at least works for now. 
HP Recommended
Sorry to say, but the solution of using the HP 1012 as a HP 3055 lasted less than a day. It worked fine for awhile, but when it quit I could not get it working again. After another day of trying this and that, I got the HP 1012 to print once more. It has been working for two days and I am crossing my fingers. My solution was to  install it as a HP Laserjet 1015 (Zenegraphics, Inc.), using the existing printer port labled DOT4_001 (Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing port). Please note that the standard HP Laserjet 1015 setting did not work. It had to be the one labled HP Laserjet 1015 (Zenegraphics, Inc.). I am not a computer genus, but when you stumble around long enough, sometimes you get lucky. I hope that this solution lasts and helps someone.
HP Recommended

Below is the email address of the CEO of HP and my messege to him. Let him know what you think!

External ceo-communication [external.ceo-communication@hp.com] 

I am the owner of a HP Laserjet 1012 printer that is not supported on Windows 7. This makes my blood boil to the extent that I most likely will never buy another HP product because I know that if another change comes about that your company will leave me out in the cold! The web is full of complaints just like mine, and you have to look no farther than WindowsSevenForums, or HP Support. Please get on the stick and release a driver that will work with my printer.

HP Recommended

Worked for me!   Thanks

HP Recommended

What version of the Zenegraphics, Inc. HP 1015 driver did you use and where did you get it.  I don't see it built into windows 7 and the driversguide forum did not supply a windows 7 compatible version.  TIA!

HP Recommended

After choosing port DOT4-001,  I was given a list of drivers.  Among them were hp laserjet 1015 HB   and Hp laserjet 1015.

I chose the latter and was able to print again.

HP Recommended

Thank you! That helped save me from buying a new printer. I love my 1012--and I also love not having to part with a bunch of money!

HP Recommended

I have had several emails on installing the HP Laserjet 1012 as a HP Laserjet 1015 with the Zenographics, Inc. driver using Windows 7. Here are the detailed instructions: go to Devices & Printers>Add a Printer>Add Local Printer>Use existing Port>Dot4_001 (Generic)>Install Printer>Manufacturer HP>Scroll down to HP Laserjet 1015>You will find two 1015's, (Microsoft) and (Zenographics, Inc)>Use HP 1015 (Zenographics, Inc.)>Next>Check on replace current driver>Printer Name (Whatever you want to call it)>Next>Install Printer. Before I started, I removed the HP 1012 installation to clear the slate. Note: Every once in a while the printer will give you an error message saying that this is an unsupported personality, or words to that effect. Just turn off the printer and when you turn it back on again, it will work once more. I understand that it is caused by the printer going into a graphics mode if you are printing certain things that it considers graphics and then will not print normal text. Again, I am not a computer genus and I am sure that a lot of guys out there could explain the why's a lot better that I can. With that being said, my printer works just fine about 95% of the time. Contact HP and let them know how you feel about your printer NOT  being supported using Windows 7. Do the following to contact the CEO of HP: www.HP.com>contact customer service> (bottom of page on the right)>E-mail HP>Other questions & feedback>Send message to CEO Mark Hurd. Good Luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.